Brew day problems!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkers

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm sorta into my 5/6 all grain Biab brew and I've been having efficiency issues.
I've just made a pickup tube as part of my problem I believe was that I had 10L below the 2 way valve that went to waste.
Anyway this brew I measured pre- boil and post boil gravity. The thing is I measured the post boil before I had filled my fermenter up and only managed to fill up 17L
So my question to you is if I had OG 1.065
At 17L and the topped it up with 3L of water to 20L, is there a way I can figure this out now as I'm a moron that forgot to stir and re-check.
Also when I put my fermenter into the temperature controlled fridge with my stc 1000 I realised that I left the temp probe outside and my fridge has been at prob 2c since I pitched the pack of us-05.
I've let it warm gradually to 18c today though should I pitch a new pack of yeast tonight when I get home from work?

According to beersmith 2 - 20l @ 1.055

Thank you!
I've got beer smith but didn't know I could do that with it!

My beersmith dilution tool says you should have an OG of 1.055 after dilution. As for your yeast it should be right but if you have no signs if fermentation after a couple of days just pitch some more.

Look under the TOOLS menu.

It's your call on the yeast. Hopefully the yeast hydrated ok before it was to cold and they just slowed down. They will hopefully start back up once warm, maybe bring it up to 20c for a day.

Without beersmith if you want to calculate it use the following formula:

(Initial SG x Initial Volume)/Final Volume = Final SG

Input the SG using only the last two digits (i.e. for 1.065 put in 65)

e.g. (65 x 17)/20 = 55.25, round that down to 55 and convert it to an SG gives you 1.055

btrots87 said:
Without beersmith if you want to calculate it use the following formula:

(Initial SG x Initial Volume)/Final Volume = Final SG

Input the SG using only the last two digits (i.e. for 1.065 put in 65)

e.g. (65 x 17)/20 = 55.25, round that down to 55 and convert it to an SG gives you 1.055
Thank you very much I shall write this down!

Thanks everyone.
I've just got home and no sign of any fermentation..
If no luck tomorrow I'm just gonna pitch a fresh pack

checkers said:
Hey guys,
So I'm sorta into my 5/6 all grain Biab brew and I've been having efficiency issues.
I've just made a pickup tube as part of my problem I believe was that I had 10L below the 2 way valve that went to waste.
Anyway this brew I measured pre- boil and post boil gravity. The thing is I measured the post boil before I had filled my fermenter up and only managed to fill up 17L
So my question to you is if I had OG 1.065
At 17L and the topped it up with 3L of water to 20L, is there a way I can figure this out now as I'm a moron that forgot to stir and re-check.
Also when I put my fermenter into the temperature controlled fridge with my stc 1000 I realised that I left the temp probe outside and my fridge has been at prob 2c since I pitched the pack of us-05.
I've let it warm gradually to 18c today though should I pitch a new pack of yeast tonight when I get home from work?
http://cyber-byte.com/brewheads/calc.php

Let it beer.jpg

Hey guys just another quick one,

When I brought my heat exchanger from LHBS the brewer advised that to sanitise the exchanger and silicone hose I should run some boiling wort through it 5 mins before flame out!
This is all well and good though I find that as I run it through before whirlpooling hops clog up my exchanger and I've had to backflush half way through cooling before.
How do you all do it?
Starsan?
Also being nearly 40 this time of year I can't cool my wort any lower than 35/40 degrees.
I normally just put it in my ferm fridge and let it cool for what can be many hrs but I know I'm tempting fate with infection this way.
Any tips for getting that last 20 odd degrees down quickly?

Howdy! I give my chiller a good clean and roast in the oven after use, covering the holes with foil whilst still hot. I then fill the chiller and tubing with starsan prior to use (the starsan goes into the fermenter to sanitise that).

When u was living in Brisbane, I either had previously boiled and chilled water In The fermenter as a top up (10 lt at close to 0 got me close) or just chilled in the fridge as you do. I didn't have issues but it did make me nervous leaving the wort at that temp for so long.

Try using block of ice to top up after it has been chilled with exchanger.

Latest posts

Back