Brew Club Launceston

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or the alternative will be that you have the full range of categories, but a beer has to be bronze minimum to qualify for AABC. That way you get the wider range, but don't make it a one person shoot out for certain styles.

Say you get one American Brown Ale, One Golden Strong Lager, etc. If they score 29.5, don't qualify, if they score 35, they do.

Yep, we're on the case. There are a couple of details we're working out and then we'll sort out categories. We'll be keeping everyone in the loop and it should be all set soon.

Probably need to start a new thread in the appropriate place, so these Lonnie blokes can talk about their Club. LRG can link it back to the Tassie brew club forum for us.
LB

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Or the alternative will be that you have the full range of categories, but a beer has to be bronze minimum to qualify for AABC. That way you get the wider range, but don't make it a one person shoot out for certain styles.

Say you get one American Brown Ale, One Golden Strong Lager, etc. If they score 29.5, don't qualify, if they score 35, they do.
I know what you mean but I think it'll be a better as a competition if there's a good number of entries in a smaller range of categories. Hopefully we won't have to limit things too much. The issue is more about number of judges than anything and that will get better over the coming years as the clubs gain some momentum. It's probably helpful to think of this year's comp partly as preparation for coming years. That's not to say it won't be run well though, it should be top notch.

Looked like a good turnout.....sorry I couldn't stay longer. I'm basically stuffed for donating a venue for anything this year, but if an Oktoberfest event happens anywhere I'd gladly take care of the food side of things......I think Stu was the only person from last night (well....Luke was there too, I'll let everyone ask him about his experiences that night next time they're having a beer at St Johns) who attended Oktoberfest at my place a couple of years ago and hopefully he'd give a good report of the grub.

Next year though......100m2 shed 20 minutes out of town and not working in the middle of the Bass Strait........bring on the big brew days at my place.

jlm said:
Next year though......100m2 shed 20 minutes out of town and not working in the middle of the Bass Strait........bring on the big brew days at my place.
Brew wars - I'm in - will come up with something innovative - solar brewing???

Can confirm the quality of the food at jlm's Oktoberfest. That pork knuckle was the single best piece of pig I've eaten. Gordo is like a pig alchemist.

Just a reminder: if you'd like an invite to the Launceston Brew Club facebook group, send me your email address and I'll add you in. No doubt we'll be cross posting between here and there anyway, for those not on FB.

It's good to see lots going on in Tassie!

Just like to restate my offer to use our place for Oktoberfest.

We've just bought an old community run primary school near Lilydale we are converting into a residence, about 25-30 mins from Launceston CBD. Heaps of room inside or out so weather won't be a concern. More than happy for people to bring a tent and camp or sleep on the floor inside.

Couple of pics in-case anyone needs further convincing. :)

1504054_10152071840174883_799019436_n.jpg

1472031_10152071829594883_1615559585_n.jpg

1506472_10152071840384883_485090902_n.jpg

1476016_10152071829514883_1234555805_n.jpg

I'm sold Pat. Are the tables yours now too?
I like the idea of a school camp for big people.
What I don't like is the idea of a load of people fed up on BBQ meats and beer all sleeping in the same room...

Only one of the tables left, we were supposed to get more, but someone filched them. We may still get them back but I'm not holding out much hope.

I was thinking along the lines of setting up some long feast hall type tables, in and/or outside, except I don't have any but I'll worry about that later.

If you're concerned about flatulence bring a tent. :p

I imagine that snoring rather than flatulence was the problem NFH was thinking about, or in my case it should be the problem. I can clear a hotel full of hobos with my snoring when full of beer and bbq. Anyway, looks like a good place to have an Octoberfest.
Cheers
LB

Thought I better post in here. The launnie meetings have been moved to Mondays now.
That makes the next meeting tonight.

And once again I'm going to miss it......getting on the plane to Flinders this arvo. Next time (Although I'm going to be working regularly at Lake St Clair now which could add more complications)......and I'll have my own beers too.

I feel that this section on AHB has been neglected somewhat so I'm posting for all those who are not part of the FB group or in the know.
We have been running the brew club in Launceston for a year now and it has been a real success. We have around 40 members that attend at varying intervals, usually with around 20 people at each meeting. Although James obviously doesn't like us and never comes anymore. We must smell funny. Or he doesn't like beards. But Olivia doesn't have a beard and she comes every month.
We have an excellent range of brewers including a couple pro craft brewers and a mega brewer. We have everyone covered from kits to all grain gurus and folks that embrace the sour funk. We even have a mead guy.
Our meetings are still happening every month on the first Monday. The next meeting will be our first anniversary and we are always open to newcomers. If you like drinking/talking about beer, send me a message for all the details and come and join us.

Well, I don't like beards. Have to get on a plane the day after next meeting so am 50/50

Wrong part of the state for me, and the wrong day of the week.
I may get there one day.
Cheers
LB

I'll be moving to lonnie in a couple of months! How do I find u all? I had a search on face book but nothing jumped out

The facebook stuff is private group at this stage.
Send me a PM and we'll sort something out.

Not For Horses said:
The facebook stuff is private group at this stage.
Send me a PM and we'll sort something out.
Cheers, looks like I'm all joined up. See you in May / June hopefully!

Back