Brew Club Launceston

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not For Horses

Reaction score
Hey Launnie brewers

In the last few months a few brewers including myself have been getting together with the intent of creating a regular meet up for home brewers in Launceston.
Local brew clubs were actually something that Brewtas and I discussed at the end of last year. Looks like we finally got around to doing something about it!

Basically it just involves drinking and chatting about all things home brew and beer related.

We have a facebook group set up to keep track of things so we can work out how to get you added to that at the next meeting.

Meetings are the first Tuesday of the month at Saint John. Next meeting will be 6:30 on the 1st of April.
And no this is not an elaborate Aprils fools joke.

So grab a bottle of your finest (or your worst so we can figure out what's wrong with it) and come along to the next meeting.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers!

Aren't they closed on Tuesdays? Assuming I'm not on Flinders I'll be there. Crazy period of work is coming to an end so should (should....) have more time for this sort of thing.

Props to Ryan and Luke for being so accommodating. Just checked my diary and I'm in Railton that Tuesday, but Lonnie Wednesday, which means I can leave the ute in town which then leaves the question.......Who wants to give a bloke a lift back to Lanena?

I'll be there. Thanks for the heads up NFH.

I'll be popping in briefly.......Have to go to Flinders on Wednesday so need to get home to pack.

Not going to make it again, huge week ahead of me this week.

great idea, any ideas as to what time it will finish? ive got work till about 8 but will try to call in

That's a bugger Paul. Maybe next time.

MatC, we should still be there at 8 but the door will be locked so just knock on the door and we'll let you in.

Thanks to everyone for coming along last night. Always great to talk/drink beer.

Couple of ideas we talked about which we should all keep in mind:
  • May 6th meeting - same place and time (Saint John, 6:30pm). Everyone's encouraged to bring some food to share - cheeses, meats, pickles, nuts etc. As long as it doesn't need cooking, bring it! For our beers, Andrew is going to bring a mic, and each of us has a few mins to "present" our beer to everyone else. More for fun than formality, though!
  • June 3rd - I (Stu) will be away, so it might be best to meet somewhere else. Forgot to mention this last night. Rob & Olivia mentioned their house as a possible meeting spot (no pressure).
  • July 1st - mid-winter feast. I think the idea was to meet somewhere else for delicious food and wintery beers. Forget details.
  • September - Bill (NFH) has been talking to Nick (brewtas) about a legit competition for Tassie, and possibly a pre-competition playoff between North and South! Aiming to run the comp against AABC style guidelines, but since there are 18 categories and 84 sub-categories, we should pick a limited range of styles that everyone enters into to make it manageable. Have a think about top 5 styles...
  • Oktoberfest celebration: we should all think about something delicious and German to brew, and keep planning some sort of meat+beer fest for late Sep-early Oct. Someone suggested camping on a property which sounds like fun.
  • Our name: Andrew takes pride on all our behalfs in being the Newest Brew Club in the World. But that isn't enough. We need an hilarious and brilliant name, or else we are NOTHING! Ideas appreciated.
Also, if anyone wants to join the Facebook group for this club, DM me your email address and I'll attempt to add you!

Thanks!
Stu

Well done on getting something going. I like the idea of a legit comp for the state, but dont forget that Tassie doesnt stop at Launceston and Hobart (North/South playoff?). There are some very good brewers up this way as well, who may be interested in participating.
I hope to attend a meeting at some stage, but I am rostered on for the next few dates.
Any talk of case swaps??
Cheers
LB

LagerBomb said:
Well done on getting something going. I like the idea of a legit comp for the state, but dont forget that Tassie doesnt stop at Launceston and Hobart (North/South playoff?). There are some very good brewers up this way as well, who may be interested in participating.
Absolutely mate, that's why we're talking North-South not Hobart-Launceston. That's just an extra part added onto the normal state comp for a bit of friendly rivalry. It'll be open to any homebrewer living in the state regardless of whether they're in a club or not and on the entry they'll be able to indicate if they're in the North or South.

brewtas said:
Absolutely mate, that's why we're talking North-South not Hobart-Launceston. That's just an extra part added onto the normal state comp for a bit of friendly rivalry. It'll be open to any homebrewer living in the state regardless of whether they're in a club or not and on the entry they'll be able to indicate if they're in the North or South.
Thanks for that - however, we live in the North West, :lol: .

Case swaps were definitely something I had envisaged. We hadn't actually talked about yet but it will absolutely be happening.

LRG and LB, I expect you to enter the comps. I'd be disappointed if you didn't. As well as anyone else reading this.
We need you guys on board to make this more than just people wanting to participate.

I think we'll call the cut off for the North South derby the 42 degree line of latitude.
I may even give a brief talk at the September comps about why this is so significant...

LagerBomb said:
Thanks for that - however, we live in the North West, :lol: .
Haha! There are no limits to Tasmanian parochialism. I can understand why you wouldn't want to be included with Launceston though. ;)

We've all benefitted from your contributions and as Bill said, the comp would be all the poorer if you, LRG, IanH and the other North West guys couldn't join in.

Is the comp going to be sanctioned for AABC (or is there not enough time)? Or do we continue for the ACT comp for this?

I'm chronically bad for comps - I've only entered once, because I never plan well enough. Did okay, but that still wasn't enough. Maybe give us advance warning?

Make the boundary Campbelltown just to see how many people are stirred up. A fair number of us in the northern half are exiled-qlders, so not as parochial as the locals are. Having said that, parochial locals are still very helpful locals.

Keep us up to date, maybe a group PM? I'm not on faecesbook, so pointless for me.

Haha, maybe we should make it Qld-Tas instead of North-South. :D

It'll be AABC sanctioned so no need to go through ACT this time and there'll definitely be more posts on here closer to the date as well as email, twitter and the rest. As Bill mentioned, the date is September 26-27 so there's some very advanced warning. More info will follow as details get locked in.

One thing I should add: we're very conscious of the terrible organisation of some of the previous competitions held in the state and we'll be working hard to make sure it's very well run.

brewtas said:
Haha! There are no limits to Tasmanian parochialism. I can understand why you wouldn't want to be included with Launceston though. ;)
No parochialism here - your from the South, so naturally I despise you. :D Although, those blokes from Launceston, - well, what can be said about them thats any good.. :huh: And don't start me on them bloody Qlders :eek:
Back to the comp - if it is decided to limit the styles, then that decision needs to be made fairly soon, so that we can prepare (cheat, bribe - whatever it takes).
Cheers
LB

Back