Brew Cellar (polyclar Plus Silica Xerogell) Usage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
A certain kindly Retailer has provided a free tub of this Polyclar/Silica Xerogell blend which I'm bagging into little gladdies to distribute at the PUBS club meeting tonight. :)

However I'm still not sure about usage and said gent hasn't got back to me as yet, does anyone know whether it should be mixed to slurry and used in kettle, or mixed to slurry and used in cold conditioning beer like the 'traditional' Polyclar?

Edit: aha got the answer from this site, looks like it's used the same as standard polyclar at racking.

Is it like this one? If you have a login you could read their brochures on it.

Yes I reckon that would be where it's ultimately sourced from. I'm looking forward to trying it, my beers are usually crystal clear but I'll try anything once - especially with comp season coming up, a bit of extra polishing doesn't go astray.
And I have no inclination to go down the filter route. ;)

Problem is the recommended application rate is so wide, this from the maker: -
The usual dosage level range for Polyclar Plus 730 is 15 - 100g/hl (4 - 26 lbs/100US bbls).
Typical examples include:
Addition Rate (g/hl)
Strong beers >7 % alc. 20 100
All malt lagers 20 - 50 g
All malt ales 20 - 80
Malt/adjunct lagers 15 - 50
Keg beers 10 40

So for a typical lets say 25L all grain batch 20-80g/100L or 5-20g. I suspect how you use it and how clear the beer is before you apply it is going to be a big determining factor.
I always use BrewBright that is already pulling out most of the polyphenols and generally find thats sufficient but if I was after crystal clarity I would Lager the beer, rack while cold (0oC) add 70/30 and filter the next day (I mean Filter not sieve), alternatively leave for a couple of days and rack again.
The results are pretty spectacular I remember the first time I tried this stuff Link a couple of years ago.
I guess working out how much you need is a trial and error job.
Mark

So its worthwhile using this stuff after brewbrite in kettle?
Ill give it a go on my next lager regardless but nice to know if Im not just waisting it.
(Thanks to Bribie and above mentioned retailer for supply ;) )
Daz

Back