Brew Books

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a really good book focused on the brewing process rather than styles or recipes try this one.
View attachment 43338 MBAA
Anyone brewing commercially or heading that way will find it invaluable, it is a no nonsense explanation of the fundamental mathematics that underpin brewing at any level.
I have sold 20 copies locally (at cost); I don't think one of the people that have brought it regrets it for a second.
MHB

MHB - Sounds like a good book. Hoe bout posting a review in the wiki book thread
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=31417

Where is it available from

MBAA (Master Brewers Association of the Americas) - Link next to the picture.
Frankly this is one of the most useful books you will ever buy.
As for putting it in the "Articles" section, if I find time, but if people actually read the articles there would be a lot fewer new threads on AHB.

MHB

Actually looks great and includes metric (my main criticism of Daniels' otherwise very good book).

You don't sell online do you?

When I get them in I have order 10 at a time, then have offered them to my locals at cost (I don't want to profit from knowledge) you can get one by following the link and flexing the old CC for the same price I would charge (or less as I would add postage to Melbourne) about $60-65 landed.
Very cheap for a "Text Book"; and yes the new version has Metric examples (my first edition didn't); I doubt I was the only one giving Stephen stick over that but he responded quickly with the current updated edition. Nothing like working through the Imperial version of the calculations, then the metric to make you appreciate a rational system of measurement.

MHB

Saw the link and saw it on amazon too. Just curious if you sold anything online as your website is still under construction.

Next pay might see me grab a copy.

Cheers.

Hey Lads,

Long time lurker first time poster.....

I have read "Brew Ware: How to find, adapt and build homebrewing equipment" by Karl F. Lutzen cover to cover and think it is one of the best books for ideas and plans on building your own brewery, providing practical advice on the best way to build your equipment.

I also found that the "Homebrewing for Dummies" by Marty Nachel is also a really good reference text to explain not only the basics but the advanced levels of brewing and the science and skills behind it.

Cheers,

Tripo.

I also found that the "Homebrewing for Dummies" by Marty Nachel is also a really good reference text to explain not only the basics but the advanced levels of brewing and the science and skills behind it.

+1 Yup i've got that book too. It is very good.

I've got "How To Brew" (downloaded it from the web, spent a few nights formatting it, and then printed it out and then got it spine bound). For simpler things, i like Homebrewing for dummies. All killer, no filler. Goes into most of the important stuff, without being overly complicated.

Nath

I have two shelves of books at home on brewing with most of those mentioned above. But inparticular the first few that people have mentioned - like those from Palmer, Jamil, Daniels and Noonan are all you'll ever need. There's a reason why every other homebrew author and article writer for BYO & Zymurgy keeps quoting these guys. They know their stuff.

1. How to Brew - John Palmer - must have. Makes the complicated simple - and so comprehensive. Referred to more than any.
2. Brewing Classic Styles - Jamil Zainasheff, John Palmer - must have if you want to understand the difference between beer styles and their ingredients. Master the recipes here, then go forth and dabble in your own.
3. Designing Great Beers. Jeff Daniels - Not a recipe book, but you will create thousands of great ones of your own with it. Buy it once you're ready to step up from following recipes to becoming a creative brew wiz.
4. New Brewing Lager Beer. Noonan. - This book is not an easy read but technically it blows most stuff away. One of the most quoted books you'll find on technical stuff such as water treatment etc. When you're ready to go deeper, give it a go. Just don't try reading from cover to cover. It will do your head in (or it did mine anyhow) as Noonan's style is pretty dry and clinical.

The Classic Styles series of books are great for the most part, but some are borderline average or out of date. Belgian Ales gets canned a lot for being terrible (particularly when compared to Brew Like a Monk), whereas the Wheat beer one gets quoted a bit because the guy that wrote it was a brewer for Weihanstephaner I think - so you need to check the reviews on each one rather than collect the set. I would advise you to start with a handful of these rather than ordering a jumbo box from amazon, abebooks or book depository.

Hopper.

Back