Brew Beers Resolution '11

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frag_Dog

Reaction score
Beers:
I've been AG brewing for about a year and I've mostly been brewing Pale Ales with a Bitter, a few Irish Reds and a California Common mixed in. Next year I want to expand out and try some Belgians and some Dark Beers as well (Stout, Porter and Schwarzbier).

Gear
I've been using a rig I built that works pretty good. Its single tier 3V Keggle system I learnt to weld on. Next year I want to get another pump and build a HERMS system. Also an immersion chiller is a goal as I have a big rain-water tank.

So whats your Brew Years Resolution for next year?

To make a heap of no chill kits so i can teach the joy of fermentation of home made wort to friends and maybe some paying students.

Brew a Lager that doesn't taste like arse

This year I brewed 10 AG beers and one kits and bits (to use up excess crap I had laying around). That's since March.

Next year I want to do at least 15 beers and want to ensure that I have a better production line going with 5 kegs at any one time at least containing some amount of beer. I have 4 taps so that should mean I never have an empty tap.

Thinking about buying a smaller second urn to do mash outs/dunk sparges in to make it easier in particular to do bigger beers but also to increase efficiency and improve processes.

This... never been happy with my light lagers... dark porters, schwarzbiers are fantastic... just not my fav.

Also yeast handling and storage. I reckon my lagers are ordinary partly cause of this.
Be more diligent with cleaning and sanitising. Never been 100% confident... i reckon i've been pretty lucky really.

Buy some kegs
I'm over bottling after my 5th Kit brew hahahahahah

try not to drink so much when brewing,

sometimes my careful midweek planning gets overlooked as I get 'creative' on brew day

will revisit some previously brewed beers that I want to tweak some more. In particular my Schwarzbier that was well recieved at the case swap, an american brown I'm about to finish the keg on :( and a sweet stout that the old man keeps nagging me to do again.

Need to dial in my lagers more

Increase production to around the 15-20 brews for the year

Maybe give a belgian a go...

All or none of the above may or may not happen!

edit - ENTER MORE COMPS!!

Add RIMs into my rig

Gain a better understanding of brew water modification

Enter my first comp (Beerfest 11 here I come...)

Finally build the 1 tier brew stand I've been planning since I hacked out my first AG

1) write things down in one spot instead of loose bits of paper.
2) surf desert point
3) get massive new deck built onto the back of my house
4) have no more kids....ever.

To use up my 90 odd kilos of grain and 4kg of hops and various yeasts i have stored at the moment
then think about selling my setup , anyone interested

cheers paul

Mine are pretty simple, just to brew more next year (I agree about variety, always keen to try new brews) and to be a better brewer in 12 months time than I am now.

Kitwise - be nice to make a few upgrades but not so fussed so long as the brews keep flowing.

Happy Brew Year 2011.

This was my first year of all grain brewing. I love the beers i've brewed. So...

Consistency. Just to be brilliant in the basics, and get them consistent. My efficiency is all over the map, my management of yeast is improving. But i just want my process to be consistent so i can predict the results and tweak one element at a time that needs it.

And i might have a shot at a Piraat this year. When i can take THAT pebble from the hand...

Chew through my grain and hop stashes.
Try to brew more than 4 times in the year.
Setup the HERMS section of the rig,
Maybe consider a conical (either plastic or stainless) and a fridge to suit...

In all seriousness, I too want to build a brew stand to accomodate all the bits and pieces I have been buying up so far this year (Thanks Jimmyjack!), and then get down to relearning all the basics to a good brew, once I have constructed my new rig.

Its easy to put off going back to learn the basics again when you have so many other projects on the go, so when the rig is done, I'm going to restart with a few SMASH brews and get them spot on.

Then of course the world will be my oyster...

Thats another one for me. Can't seem to brew a decent lager...

will revisit some previously brewed beers that I want to tweak some more. In particular my Schwarzbier that was well recieved at the case swap, an american brown I'm about to finish the keg on :( and a sweet stout that the old man keeps nagging me to do again.

Need to dial in my lagers more

Increase production to around the 15-20 brews for the year

Maybe give a belgian a go...

All or none of the above may or may not happen!

edit - ENTER MORE COMPS!!

Comps is another one. Time to look up that BABBS calendar and plan a few brews!

Planning on trying a few new styles next year - Roggenbier, rauchbier, scottish ales, belgians and continue to push myself out of my comfort zone. A few wet hopped harvest ales to use up the kilos of hops i am likley to get from the plantation.

Equipment wise i want to move to a cylindrical ss mash tun for 2 reasons - fly sparging and direct heat step mashing.

Like a lot of people lagers are my achilles heel. They are ok and most mates enjoy them but i know they aren't as good as they could be.

As a chemist who hasn't mastered water chemistry this year is the year. I understand the theory (mostly) so its time to focus on putting it into practice.

I also want to brew something nuts. 1.150+ nuts. 100% rye nuts. 4 million IBU nuts. Eis x 10 nuts. Brewdog are a bunch of girls nuts. And not necessarily in the same beer.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. that last bit could be the 4 CPAs with lunch talking, gotta love December in the public service B)

There are 2 runners-up.

1. Decide on ingredients to make a great beer I will enjoy.

2. The way to make it.

And the winner is....

A 'SPEIDEL BRAUMEISTER' Brewing System.

Xmas Cheers

Latest posts

Back