Brew # 50 - What should I make?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

The journey over 3+ years has been awesome and I have made some good, great and not so beers during this time, some of these ( most ) have been from the input/knowledge of the forum. Moving from K & K to BIAB to 20lt BM Im now nearing the big 50th brew so Im looking for some forum input/suggestions of what should make number 50.

What should I make - leaning towards an Imperial IPA

Dan

3 years from beginner to BM! awesome. When I started it was about 10 years from K&K to esky mash tun... There was no interwebbynet though...

But for your 50th brew, why not make a dark ale, 50EBC and 50IBU to drink in the colder months?

Make a K & K, revisit your roots

edit, beaten by Cremmerson

Well done, the big five o....
Im doing my 50th next batch and plan on doing a Warsteiner clone...from 200 clone brews....
I do like Mchenry's idea 50ebc 50 ibu....
Whatever you make I hope its a cracker.

mckenry said:
3 years from beginner to BM! awesome. When I started it was about 10 years from K&K to esky mash tun... There was no interwebbynet though...

But for your 50th brew, why not make a dark ale, 50EBC and 50IBU to drink in the colder months?
Hmm a 50ebc 50ibu brew is right on my style of beer lately. I recently made dunkelweizen, dark pale ale & a oatmeal stout.....

cremmerson said:
Why not a personalized version of your first brew? Captures the history as well as the education?
My first KK was the coopers lager kit with 1kg of dextrose and packet yeast, fermented in 7days at 25c, bottled for 2 weeks and consumed, just as the coopers booklet describes.... :lol:

As a personalized version, testing my knowledge/skill/patience - maybe I make a Kolsch? mash long and low, ferment low, lager (zero degree's) long, crisp clean finish desired! Thats the most likely style to a lager that I would make these days. :super:

I stopped counting my brews at about 20.

I reckon a big beer. RIS or a Big Baltic Porter. Something that will benefit from a year in the bottle. Or if in doubt, just brew an Oktoberfest - that's what I do - and I often find myself in doubt and am thankful for it.

I've made a Tripel with 30% sugaz. No problem there. Mine got a first in the Tripel category at Beerfest.

Pratty1 said:
Belgian? Not sure i can make on my rig without using sugar?
Most Belgian Strong Ale's are traditionally brewed with sugar! I would dare even say that plain old dextrose is more commonplace in most than candi sugar. I think it was Chimay who even said themselves that their Blue has a generous amount of dex, but zero candi sugar. Either way, sugar is far from amiss for a Dubbel or Triple!

WarmBeer said:
There's a lot of contention in this thread at the moment. Maybe you should try and nail it.
Even trying to make a vb and the possibility that i could get that beer right would be crazy.....and a waste of malt.

Back