Brew # 50 - What should I make?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
Hmm a 50ebc 50ibu brew is right on my style of beer lately. I recently made dunkelweizen, dark pale ale & a oatmeal stout.....
I like this idea. Try to use 50 grams of hops to achieve your 50 IBUS and 50 hundred grams of malt, and a 1050 starting gravity, and maybe even try to hit 5.0% ABV....what a challenge!

There's only one............a decent RIS!

Going for the Kolsch for # 50 in the next week when the LHBS get the Kolsch malt and Kolsch yeast into stock.

Recipe -

2.45kg - Kolsch Malt (50%)
1.85kg - Pilsner Malt (38%)
0.5kg - Wheat Malt (10%)
0.1kg - Acidulated (2%)

56g - Hallertauer Herbrucker (AA - 4%) 60mins = 22 IBU

step mashing and fermenting at 15C for 3 weeks then lagering at 4c for 2 months.

Should be ready for the Footy Grand Final in September.

Here is the recipe is sourced from this forum.

View attachment K_lsch_english.3.pdf

Kölsch malt???

EDIT: Ah, I see. I'd stick to calling it Vienna.

I think the painfully slow ferment of Kolsch is what keeps me from making it.....But they are delicious aren't they!!

Byran said:
I think the painfully slow ferment of Kolsch is what keeps me from making it.....But they are delicious aren't they!!
It will take a while to ferment but with the colder months ahead and punters main beer a lager Id perfer to serve an ale style lagerish drink before i hit them with a APA, IPA or an oatmeal stout...lol.

Florian said:
Kölsch malt???

EDIT: Ah, I see. I'd stick to calling it Vienna.
no its not Vienna, it s German Ale Malt known as kolsch. the LHBS gets it by the bag full like the other malts

Keep it nice and simple with a Kolsch.

90% Pils malt
10% wheat malt
Tett at 60 min to around 17 to 20 IBU
Kolsch yeast 2565

Thats the classic way to do it and I love it like that. Nice summer drinking beer. Hang on isn't winter coming??

Gav80,

Winter is coming hence the choice to brew this style. I can lager it during winter and get it kegged/carbed up when i need it, if it works out good next winter i may just lager it through spring aswell and have her ready for the summer. in teh past i have been able to lager beers for 12months or more and that was when i was making K&K.

Is there anything i should know about the yeast? i ask because the weistephen 3068 on a dunkelweizen made quite the mess but that did have 60% wheat....lol. I ask because its feels like you have made a few Kolsch's....on that did you cold store them for a while after ferment??

Yeah I know, 3068 tends to do that. All the Kolsch ive made have had a fair crousen with 2565 but not exploded. I just filter all my lagers now. Saves waiting ages. Really worth buying a filter in my opinion.
I have the book on Kolsch and made a couple out of the book and the BullsHead Kolsch. They all come up nice but Tony's was extra swillable with 95% pils and 5% wheat.

Kolsch Brew #50 has been transfered to the keg after 10 weeks of lagering ( stored cold ) @ 4c.

I tried a shot glass sample and it was crystal clear and tasty. Im looking forward to getting her into the glass, I will try and get a -look at my fkn scenic back yard and beer shot" when its ready :p

Latest posts

Back