Brettanomyces

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buntung483

Reaction score
Here I am again. Really starting to ask the questions.

I've been listening to brewing network podcasts a lot and they talk about Brett beers quite a bit. I've tried a mikkeller it's alright and thought it was tasty but very different.

I would like to try some Brett experiments some time bit for now just wondering if anyone else has used Brett and what experiences you had.

Cheers
Josh

I've made the orval clone from Brewing Classic Styles, good starting point for using brett I would say, and a great beer.

On the sunday session there is an interview with the guy that published the brettanomyces project that is well worth listening to.

Hey. Yeah I've got that book so maybe ill give it a go. I listened to that one I think that is what sparked my interest. Some of the barrel fermenting sounds good too. Feral brewery do a barrel fermented version of hop hog which changes the beer so much but makes it bloody tasty.

Hey. Yeah I've got that book so maybe ill give it a go. I listened to that one I think that is what sparked my interest. Some of the barrel fermenting sounds good too. Feral brewery do a barrel fermented version of hop hog which changes the beer so much but makes it bloody tasty.

Remember that there are different strains of brett, all with different characters.
Orval is a good place to start.
Various strains will change character over time too.

Keep it well away from any non-brett beers.

Check out mad fermentationist blogspot and babblebelt forum.

If you find a nice Brett beer you like then you can simply add the dregs to one of yours.
A few months later you will have a fair bit of funk, depending on how much food is available to them.

You can also try out 100% brett beers. I've brewed a couple so far and they've been heaps of fun. Brett behaves differently when it's on its own, much more like brewers yeast in terms of attenuation and speed of operation, but it'll still give you some different flavours if not the funk of a mixed fermentation.

If you pitch enough yeast (about the same as for a lager), then it'll ferment out within a couple of weeks.

Back