Brett on my fruit? Assistance sought from the sour experts.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durgarth

Reaction score
All, I am seeking help from the sour experts. I classify myself as a sour novice and need some help.

I have a 20 month old oak cask Lambic that a mate and I share. Last year the Lambic went quite well at the local and Nationals.

I have made this style of brew several times and each is excellent, including a passionfruit version. About 6 weeks ago we pulled around 40 litres from the keg and placed some of it on fruit (cherries etc) and put the remainder aside for subsequent years.

It seems that I have developed an "infection" on the fruit, with white "fungus" type spores appearing on the cherries. This has not happened with my raspberries previously and I'm a little worried that the entire batch is infected (as much as a Kriek can be infected). I have attached a pic of the fruit and I'm hoping those who have done this before will be able to allay my fears . So here is the question......is there white fungus suppose to grow on your fruit when doing a Kriek or have somehow we have developed an "extra" infection ? image.jpg

Other barrel mate here. The barrel was inoculated with WL Belgian sour mix when first filled.

Not even a novice on this line of brewing, but exposure to air at top of fermenter could be the source of the growth if re-fermentation didn't kick off in a hurry, I had a batch of olives show similar growth, the fruit needed to be submerged at all times to avoid it. Did you wash the fruit before it was added?

Might be worth doing a quick read on moulds, my memory of reading up on cheeses was that white mould is actually edible and won't do you any harm (think bries etc) but green is not good. Please read up on it though, don't take my word for it, it was a couple of years ago.

Further reading indicates rack below and don't stir in the mould if it is mould and all should be ok - might not want to leave it on the fruit for too long. Could still be a pellicle from the photo though.

Mould is not a good sign but it's unclear from the photo whether it's mould or pellicle. Mould could certainly have made its way in on the fruit if it was a bit old.

My barrel of raspberry lambic had lots of white fluffies on the surface.
It dissapeared over 6 months.

Thanks everyone, I think (hope) it is the pellicle forming on the cherries. The links and pics especially helped. Ill put it back under cover and wait to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fruit is hard for headspace - we left that much after seeing krausening on previous fruit batches that went to the roof. In guess time will tell...

Latest posts

Back