Brendo's Bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendo

Tap-whore
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After a fair bit of searching on eBay, etc, this morning I went and picked up a nice big piece of red wood to form the top of my planned home bar.

gallery_7217_647_34577.jpg

She measures up 2900 x 480 and is 50mm thick. Fair to say that it is a pretty solid piece of wood and should look great as a bar top.

The plan is to build an L shaped bar - 1700 along the front and about 1200 down the side. My mate is a cabinet maker, so he is going to assist in the construction and will build cupboards/drawers, etc for underneath.

Will post some more pics as the construction gets going.

However the other exciting thing to share is one of the things that is going to sit up on top of the bar... this bad boy...

med_gallery_7217_647_20901.jpg
med_gallery_7217_647_14256.jpg

She is a real sweet piece of kit, looks in great condition and has been pretty much stored away for quite a long time. Gotta take a good look at it when I get a chance to see if the seals need to be replaced or if it just needs a demand valve as it isn't creating any suction when pulled. Can't wait to get her sorted out and pull a pint or four through her.

I've also got two more been engines coming from the UK - should look quite good all lined up once they are ready to go.

Sorry about the crappy iPhone photos, will post some better ones with the DSLR as things progess.

Cheers,

Brendo

How much are you getting the Beer Engines for ?

I missed one on ebay last month, went for $100 odd. Bloody Internet crashed while placing the last 30 seconds bid... I was really pised off...
And one went last night, same as your for $250.

I see then listed in the UK for A$130 - A$150 but shipping is a killer...

Nice piece of timber. a few hundered for that I'm guessing.

BOG

How much are you getting the Beer Engines for ?

I missed one on ebay last month, went for $100 odd. Bloody Internet crashed while placing the last 30 seconds bid... I was really pised off...
And one went last night, same as your for $250.

I see then listed in the UK for A$130 - A$150 but shipping is a killer...

Nice piece of timber. a few hundered for that I'm guessing.

BOG

hey Bog

postage is def the killer. The one picture was already in Oz, so wasn't a bad deal. As I said I have two more coming from the uk and the prices you are looking at are in the ballpark of what I have got some for. What I found though was that postage for one engine was about 120 but I coul get two posted for about 170 - makes a difference. Mind you I did take a hit with the drop in the $AUD.

The bar top was a few hundred & - but it is finished and good to go.

Cheers

brendo

Wow.....that is one beautiful bit of timber.....Redwood, one of my fav timbers along with Jarrah, Turpentine, Brush Box......and other REAL solid timbers :)

That must be one heavy slab...

I am drooling over it and my keyboard is getting messy.

Cant wait to see the pics as it progresses....

Rendo

Hey guys,

After a fair bit of searching on eBay, etc, this morning I went and picked up a nice big piece of red wood to form the top of my planned home bar.

She measures up 2900 x 480 and is 50mm thick. Fair to say that it is a pretty solid piece of wood and should look great as a bar top.

The plan is to build an L shaped bar - 1700 along the front and about 1200 down the side. My mate is a cabinet maker, so he is going to assist in the construction and will build cupboards/drawers, etc for underneath.

Will post some more pics as the construction gets going.

Saw the Abbot on ebay recently and wondered if it had gone to a good home. Looks like it's gone to 'Brendo's Chapel of fine ales'! Good pick up!

:) Hopper

You've got 6 months to get that bad boy ready, then it's Vic 2010 Xmas case swap at Brendo's ;)

Better start a case swap @ Brendo's thread...

Beautiful slab of wood!

Red wood or red gum?

Whatever it is it looks gorgeous and when coupled with a line of beer engines is my idea of the perfect bar :super:

hey Bog

postage is def the killer. The one picture was already in Oz, so wasn't a bad deal. As I said I have two more coming from the uk and the prices you are looking at are in the ballpark of what I have got some for. What I found though was that postage for one engine was about 120 but I coul get two posted for about 170 - makes a difference. Mind you I did take a hit with the drop in the $AUD.

The bar top was a few hundred & - but it is finished and good to go.

Cheers

brendo

I ship real engines (the 380kg variety) for less than that, as long as you don't need it quickly, send it (or a few of them) by ship

Saw the Abbot on ebay recently and wondered if it had gone to a good home. Looks like it's gone to 'Brendo's Chapel of fine ales'! Good pick up!

:) Hopper

Who did pick up the Abbot that was on Ebay the Northern Beaches (Fairlight) last week? It went for $250 which I thought was a bit high.
But having reread this post maybe not.

Still pissed off at missing one on Ebay last month for $120.

BOG

OK... so after not much activity, the last 3-4 weeks has seen this project step up a few gears - to the point that it is very nearly done. Here are some pics of the build over the last couple of weeks.

Pretty much all that is left to do is to clad the outside of the bar (prob this weekend), stain it and a little bit of fine-tuning here and there. Will post more pics once it is all done.

med_gallery_7217_647_236111.jpg

Room cleared, ready to go

med_gallery_7217_647_73451.jpg

Picture of bar top, pre cutting.

med_gallery_7217_647_329581.jpg

Cabinets for bar in "flat pack" format - thanks to my cabinet making friend.

med_gallery_7217_647_290810.jpg

And the build begins!!

med_gallery_7217_647_138662.jpg

Bar top now in two seperate pieces. the missing wedge will get turned into tap handles for the kegarator.

med_gallery_7217_647_265434.jpg

Starting to take some shape.

med_gallery_7217_647_96585.jpg

Fronts of cupboards and drawers.

med_gallery_7217_647_124448.jpg

First half of top going on.

med_gallery_7217_647_203923.jpg

Second half of top going on.

med_gallery_7217_647_223178.jpg

Quick test run... seems to be up to the job!!

med_gallery_7217_647_6739.jpg

Beer engines finally mounted up on their new home - just need to order some bits from the UK to get it up and going.

Back