bready, yeasty, cardboard taste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently switched to Biab from K&k. First 2 batches have like a bready taste.

Have a JSGA in the fermenter atm which i no chilled so don't know if this will be the same.

1st Batch

80% pale ale, 8% light munich, 2% crystal. 10g nelson at 60, 20g cascade at 20 and 10g cascade at 10.

2nd Batch

82% Pilsener, 13% Munich light,7% wheat. 10g nelson at 60, 10g Amarillo at 15 and 12g amarillo at 5.

Both chilled with imersion chiller to 23 deg. splashed into fermenter pitched us 05 yeast, fermented at 18deg for 10 days, (finished according to hydrometer)gravity transfered to keg via liquid post.......so i'm hoping oxidising is ruled out? chilled, force carbed, drink. Have been in keg for approx 3 weeks with no change to taste.

Have used us 05 heaps of time before in my K&K days ( 2 months ago! LOL)

Used garden hose to fill urn......did triangular taste test and could not detect any difference prior to using in brew.

Nothing else i can think of done differently post boil that was not done with kits.

Anyone have any thoughts please.

Iv had a similar effect and I used near same ingredients, I reckon it's the beer style, my summer saaz blonde has come around to the pallet has been conditioning in the bottle for 3 weeks.

How accurate is your mash temp???
What kind of ferm temp and swings in temp?
Are you only drinking it?? Or mixing it up with other beers??

If I have a knk beer now days the tang shines through but after a few I don't notice it

Few ideas to ponder I got on here n bagged the **** out of my first ag brew now I love it. Just can't go from a pale to it or it tastes like turd.. Iv only been drinking the ag brew all weekend and its quite nice, missis popped a pale and I had a sip and it was like pwah ****!! Heh

M3tal,

Mash temps should be accurate as I checked hand held thermometer with my stc1000 and only .3 diff. Temp controlled ferment at 18. Only drinking that one and yes, the first taste is the most noticeable and I assume the palette adjusts to taste.

tonyt said:
Hey all,

Recently switched to Biab from K&k. First 2 batches have like a bready taste.

Have a JSGA in the fermenter atm which i no chilled so don't know if this will be the same.

1st Batch

80% pale ale, 8% light munich, 2% crystal. 10g nelson at 60, 20g cascade at 20 and 10g cascade at 10.

2nd Batch

82% Pilsener, 13% Munich light,7% wheat. 10g nelson at 60, 10g Amarillo at 15 and 12g amarillo at 5.

Both chilled with imersion chiller to 23 deg. splashed into fermenter pitched us 05 yeast, fermented at 18deg for 10 days, (finished according to hydrometer)gravity transfered to keg via liquid post.......so i'm hoping oxidising is ruled out? chilled, force carbed, drink. Have been in keg for approx 3 weeks with no change to taste.

Have used us 05 heaps of time before in my K&K days ( 2 months ago! LOL)

Used garden hose to fill urn......did triangular taste test and could not detect any difference prior to using in brew.

Nothing else i can think of done differently post boil that was not done with kits.

Anyone have any thoughts please.
Got me stumped Tony.
I use all Amarillo for this beer & 1056 or 1272. Not a fan of Nelson Sauvin but unless you added it at 45mins or less, there should be no flavour carry over from the hops. I've made this beer more times than i can remember & never had any of these issues.
Let us know if the no chill is different & switch that NS for Amarillo.

Munich does taste a bit bready...

What temperature did you mash at?

How long did you mash for?

Did you do a mash out?

get rid of your garden hose, mine has given off flavours in some of my beers

Crusty, I transferred the golden ale to keg today, will chill overnight, force carb and taste tomorrow, only thing different to that recipe you sent me was the yeast, my hbs didn't have that yeast, so you guessed it I used us05 again. I don't think it's the yeast as I said I have used it heaps of times with kits before???

Stux, mashed at 66 for 90 min and yes, did a mash out to 78.

Jaypes, yeh I won't use the garden hose in future, just to be safe.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, it's the first mouthful thats the most noticeable then it almost disappears ......but it's the first mouth full that you really want to enjoy!

Cheers

hey mate, from what I can see

tonyt said:
1st Batch

What's is the other 10% of the grain bill that's missing?

If it's 18% Munich, it could be the amount of Munich you're using?

Sorry, my bad, it was 90% pale ale, 8% Munich, the second batch is 13% Munich and 5 wheat.

Cheers

jaypes said:
get rid of your garden hose, mine has given off flavours in some of my beers
The flavours decribed probably won't be coming from the garden hose, but definitely upgrade to high quality caravan drinking hose or something similar.

My first couple of batches I used a garden hose for filling the HLT and found a similar plastic/chemical taste in the beers. Switched to a good quality hose and haven't had the same problem.

As far as the cardboard taste goes, that often comes from oxidation. But with you filling the keg via the out post, thats probably as good as you can get to reduce splashing whilst filling..

Kind of sounds like yeast bite but it's not really clear from your process why that would happen. Single pack of US-05, hard to see how.

it's not like you were using Coopers' super bread yeast or anything eh.

I have recently made my second JSGA and I have found this last batch is exhibiting the same flavours. I'm a bit stumped as well, Im leaning towards the hops. Maybe the amarillo just isn't as nice as it was last time.

aydos said:
I have recently made my second JSGA and I have found this last batch is exhibiting the same flavours. I'm a bit stumped as well, Im leaning towards the hops. Maybe the amarillo just isn't as nice as it was last time.
Did you chill or no chill? I will be tasting the JSGA "no chill" tonight, so i will report back.....the first 2 were chilled. Maybe if same might try a recipe without Munich and see how it goes.

Cheers

Howdy,

Just tasted the jsga " no chill" and tastes pretty good, although still green, can't seem to taste any bread...............so don't know what to do from here as far as future brews go......I must say i prefered the "no chill" method so i think i will stick with it for now and maybe try to chill again at a later stage????

Cheers and thanks for all the help

Mine was no chill. The first one I did was also no chill and it was bloody beautiful. This one will hopefully get better with age. If it doesn't get better over a month, Im going to bomb it with cascade!

aydos said:
Mine was no chill. The first one I did was also no chill and it was bloody beautiful. This one will hopefully get better with age. If it doesn't get better over a month, Im going to bomb it with cascade!

The old Aydos magic. You could also try citra, centenniel or lots of others.

Latest posts

Back