Bread Smell And Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doon

Reaction score
1 tin Coopers Sparkling ale
1 tin Coopers wheat malt extract
20g amarillo @ 10, 5 and dry hop
US56

Put down this recipe just for a quick one about a week and a half ago. Every sample i have taken from it has had a quite a strong bread smell and taste, although it does seem to be getting milder now.

Does this mean infection??? I used to packs of yeast rehydrated if that makes any difference

I'd say it's probably the yeast. I've had similar tastes from US56 before and it was bad enough that I thought it may have been an infection. The fact that it's becoming milder is probably a good sign of this, an infection would most likely get worse.

Most of the common infections will show up as a white skin on the wort, and generally have a sour taste to them. Certainly from the one brew I had which got infected, the taste gets worse with time and then you really, really know!

The brew sounds good otherwise, I love the taste and aroma from Amarillo hops and the combo sounds pretty decent.

Hi Doon

S-05 or US56 is a very clean yeast so would not expect any really noticable flavours from it. The bready flavour has likely come from the wheat malt. Should make for an interesting beer when its ready.

cheers

grant

The "bready" flavour is almost certainly just the yeast suspended in your sample. It will settle out.

Cheers thanks for the response guys. Was hoping that it was nothing major as i didnt want to have to throw the lot out!!

Throw it out?
Some belgian styles go to great lenths to have that bready aroma!
Always name your brews AFTER they hit the bottle... ;)

I was just worried it was an infection so if people had said bread = bad out it would have gone!!!

Its going to be interesting to see whats this finally comes out as after conditioning

Latest posts

Back