Braumester Malt Pipe Oval Shaped?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi all,

Done a couple of brews on my new BM and worked great although I have a little concern about the malt pipe, It doesn't seem to be true and when looking at both the hold bar and sieves, it indicates the malt pipe is oval in shape?

The two brews that I've done, when recirculating grain pieces will flow past the gap which if ends up getting caught in the pump will make for a PITA brew day.

I have included some pictures and asking if anyone else has this problem as I'm sure it doesn't seem right.

I have emailed Ross and he has forwarded to Speidel for a response.

Thanks in advance

IMG_1091.jpeg
IMG_1089.jpeg
IMG_1082.jpeg

Something is defiantly wrong there, I'm sure Ross will replace the malt pipe.
I wouldn't brew with that.

batz

Thanks Batz,

Yeah, I didnt think it looked right as its a huge gap and you can watch whole grains flowing from the malt pipe, although i never had anything to compare against so couldn't be completely sure until i read other using saying that the sieve and mesh should fit snug against the malt pipe... mine has about 5mm or so ..... =(

Also reading that other people ended up with clear wort with minimal to no grain particles... mine ends up with quite a bit..

It looks like if you squeezed it to make it more cylindrical it would still have a gap.

batz

I have the 50L BM and it's malt pipe is fine.
However I also bought the short malt pipe and it is similar to yours. I actually have scrape marks on the inside of the short malt pipe from where the filter plate has made contact in two oppposite areas, I kind of have to force it down, the top plate is the same but not as tight. I get a few grains kicking around but there is more of a gap on the bottom plate than the top so it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for me; perhaps that's just what I am trying to tell myself.

Correct Batz, it's not tight anywhere, so if I squeezed to try and make true, it would still have a gap, just more uniform I guess, I will wait to ear back from Ross but I'm assuming/hoping they will send me out a new malt pipe.

Correct Batz, it's not tight anywhere, so if I squeezed to try and make true, it would still have a gap, just more uniform I guess, I will wait to ear back from Ross but I'm assuming/hoping they will send me out a new malt pipe.

So would I mate and I'm sure you'll get it, bugger if you have to wait for a while before brewing.

Please keep us informed of Speidels response.

batz

Will do Batz, cheers for the help...

If it takes any period of time (hopefully not too long) i'll still brew with it, just have to keep an eye on it and hope no grain finds it way into the pump. Or maybe scoop floating grain out once recirc starts

I have the 50L BM and it's malt pipe is fine.
However I also bought the short malt pipe and it is similar to yours. I actually have scrape marks on the inside of the short malt pipe from where the filter plate has made contact in two oppposite areas, I kind of have to force it down, the top plate is the same but not as tight. I get a few grains kicking around but there is more of a gap on the bottom plate than the top so it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for me; perhaps that's just what I am trying to tell myself.

Thanks Malted,

Obviously with your 20L malt pipe, it has probably just been distorted/squashed a bit, mine is actually too big and if you did try and make circular it would still have a fair gap around the sieve/mesh.

I know youre disappointed but in my experience its probably down to handling during shipping. Frankly the malt pipe is pretty easy to straighten out as I found out after a little incident involving a fork lift and my malt pipe.
Just put a bit of wood on the floor, lay the malt pipe on it with the egg side up and press firmly, the bit of wood is to stop the top lip being bent. By firmly I mean give it a good hard push but not all in one place, where the bottom filter support has been Jenneyed in will be the stiffest part and probably would be a good idea to get that round first.
The filter plate isnt meant to be a glove fit, nor does it need to be, the heavy perforated plates arent the filters, they are the filter supports and its the filters that stop the grain. I strongly suspect your malt pipe is exactly the same size as everyone elses, if just a touch eccentric :).
Im sure your dealer will sort you out but if you just want to get on with brewing try what I have suggested above, in all fairness its very good policy when you have an issue with something you have brought, in the first instance contact the person you brought it from, see what their response is before posting.
MHB

Just put a bit of wood on the floor, lay the malt pipe on it with the egg side up and press firmly, the bit of wood is to stop the top lip being bent.
Will do ;)

Back