Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Blind Dog, that's the info I was after. Much appreciated. I guess I was concerned about off flavours from recirculating the mash for that long at mash out temp (tannin extraction etc...). But as long as the temp is held at say 77 deg maximum, I guess tannins shouldn't be a problem? Not sure about other effects though.... I guess if others have done this without adverse effects on the finished beer, then it's worth trying! Thanks again for the info

Also note that overnight mashing is not new. Its just easier and more precise in a BM rather than leaving it sitting in an esky or in the oven, as the BM can hold the temperature accurately.

As far as I've read over the years, whether youre using a BM, esky or oven the main points are that below about 50C there is a risk of bacterial infection and a low rest in the low 60s will create a dry, very fermentable beer, so for most home brewers an overnight mash at 66C+ should be the aim

IIRC my BM will do steps of 180 minutes max

Thanks for the info guys. Seems to be some great info in that thread over on the BM forum too - thanks for the heads up Wobbly. Cheers

bobcharlie,
It should be possible to do what you are trying to achieve. You could use a timer until mash out. Then auto switch off with a timer. The next day just do a manual boil.
I always do a 90 minute boil at 102degC and have never had a failure.
If it was me, I probably would wake up and do the mash/lauter, before switching off, and this step would not need a timer switch.
Just my thoughts, I don't think that I would like to try this.
cheers

Blind Dog
If you do a boil, I am sure any bacteria should be destroyed. There should be some charts somewhere which indicates the degree of destruction of bacteria at certain temperatures.
It runs something like 2 minutes @ 90 c
down to 15 minutes @65c
don't quote me on these numbers look them up
I personally would not worry too much about bacteria so long as you do a vigorous boil at least 1 hour, but preferably 90 minutes @ 102c, just my thoughts.

It's the off flavours the bacteria leave behind that's the issue. Once the sour,funky flavours get into the wort, boiling won't get rid of them.

Blind Dog said:
Also note that overnight mashing is not new. Its just easier and more precise in a BM rather than leaving it sitting in an esky or in the oven, as the BM can hold the temperature accurately.

As far as I've read over the years, whether youre using a BM, esky or oven the main points are that below about 50C there is a risk of bacterial infection and a low rest in the low 60s will create a dry, very fermentable beer, so for most home brewers an overnight mash at 66C+ should be the aim

IIRC my BM will do steps of 180 minutes max
My reading of the forum topic on the "other forum" I referenced is that those that do the over night mash allow the mash to complete and reach mash out and hold it at mash out temperature for the extended time

I can't speak from personal experience having never tried an over night mash in my 20 lt BM but a number of members on this forum have (according to their posts on the other forum) and perhaps/maybe they will post their experience on this forum

Wont post their names in case that is also against forum rules

Cheers

wobbly

I do t think everyone on the other forum takes it to mash out and holds. A number seem to have a long dough in at low temps (so limited bacterial activity), a long alpha rest and a long mash out. It would be nice to dough in, head off to bed, wake up, lift the pipe and carry on. I can't complete a mash in an evening with all the other stuff going on

Only issue I can see is if I get geysers and wake up to 20l of wort on the kitchen floor

Blind Dog said:
I do t think everyone on the other forum takes it to mash out and holds. A number seem to have a long dough in at low temps (so limited bacterial activity), a long alpha rest and a long mash out. It would be nice to dough in, head off to bed, wake up, lift the pipe and carry on. I can't complete a mash in an evening with all the other stuff going on

Only issue I can see is if I get geysers and wake up to 20l of wort on the kitchen floor
I hold mine at mash out until morning at 76 deg c. I did have some wort come out once but that was a mid strength beer with a very small grain bill.
All other times it has worked just fine.

If you've reached mashout temperature is there any value in sparging with hot water instead of cold?

Draughton said:
If you've reached mashout temperature is there any value in sparging with hot water instead of cold?
Most will argue for hot water. On my 1V I tried both hot and cold, and got no difference in pre-boil efficiency. Now I always cold water "hose sparge" it as it is easier. On my 3V I still heat up the sparge water to 77c as I find 70L of cold water adds a lot of time to raising the kettle to the boil. If you didn't raise the temperature to mash out, then I would always hot sparge.

for those that are concerned about holding the mash at mash out temps for 4 hours you could also just add a second initial step instead.
so have step one and two both at 10 degrees, that brings you to over 8 hours (max. 255 minutes per step on my anxient BM).
i would preferably do this in winter though when the water is indeed cold, not sure if you develop any off flavours in the middle of a qld summer.

What are folks typical evaporation rates with the 20L BM? I am still trying to get a baseline and had aprox 16% on the last brew. My mash efficiency was also at 95% which seems rather high.

I have a bm 50 and I use it to make 150 ltrs of wort ( with a few other bits and pieces added ) and have always sparged on it with good results . I have found that a fine crush has upped the efficiency but can cause you a few headaches with malt fountains . I use 29 kg of grain to get 145ltrs at 1045 . Also I have a shit load of vids up on the u tube with shit about how I use my BM 50 if you are interested please have a look . Offtapbrewing

cubbie said:
What are folks typical evaporation rates with the 20L BM? I am still trying to get a baseline and had aprox 16% on the last brew. My mash efficiency was also at 95% which seems rather high.
11% Evap on a 25L post boil volume size and 80%ish mash efficiency

I was just looking at the Speidel bm recipe for an oak flavored beer which is their only recipe where they call for sparging (due the high OG recipe). The interesting thing I noted was that they say to move the malt pipe up and down several times during the 78C phase. I cannot tell if this is before or after sparging but regardless this is the first time I heard about using this technique. Has anyone else tried this?

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/oak-flavoured-beer-recipe.html

Haven't tried it, but it should help with both efficiency and unclear pre boil wort.

For those with a 20 lt BM and interested in making a "Dicko" stile domed hood then Kitchen Warehouse have a Chef Inox Kitchenware 8lt SS mixing bowl that is an exact fit on the BM.

That is 350mm inside the flange and 370mm outside and it sells for $9:99

Cheers

Wobbly

Latest posts

Back