Braumeister Purchasing Costs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you import a BM50 direct from Germany via FedEx there's a good chance it will arrive with a few dents. This was my experience and the packaging was to blame. I ended up lodging an insurance claim with FedEx for $500+. If you decide to import a unit make sure you take out sufficient insurance to cover serious damage (i.e. covers the complete replacement of the unit). I count myself lucky and would recommend paying a bit extra from an Australian distributor.

Ah the controller, its just about there but we need to be 100% sure its not going to fall over. Signs are good but one electronic component is giving us some grief. An upgrade (money) my solve the problem, its only one unit out of ten test units that failed and we haven't got it back to diagnose the fault.
Makes a great beer but unless its fool proof we will delay release. :icon_cheers:
Nev
1 out of 10 Nev ... hate to be that poor buggar. Sounds really promising though
Cheers
BBB

Freight insurance may cover damage

And the manufacturer/foreign retailer will fix things under warranty

But you will probably have to ship it both ways. Ouch

And jut hope you don't get hit up for the gst/customs again on the re-import!

A much better idea is to import a stack and parts etc... Which I assume is what the current retailers are doing ;)

Last year FedEx bent five 50 litre Braumeisters so badly that the bodies needed replacing, thats $17,500 worth of stock that I have had to make good on. After quite a lengthy battle I got $2500 back from FedEx but to get that I had go get a lawyer on to the case.
A new 50 L BM Body costs 280 EU and shipping is the same as a new 50 L BM the total damage bill was $3,225 AU for the parts, not counting the time and other costs required do a total heart transplant on 4 units. My customers experienced delays in their equipment arriving but it didnt cost them one extra cent; in fact the last and least damaged units replacement body is here and will be sent out on Monday. Im a small business damage like this is pretty hard to sustain, I reached the point where I considered not bothering to deal with Braumeisters but decided to make a much smaller profit and use a better freight company instead.
Frankly I wouldnt trust FedEx to transport a fart in a padded bag and have gone back to using TNT even tho it costs about $320 more per unit at least they dont arrive fucked.

If youre so worried that I or one of the other agents in Australia is screwing you over that you want to take all the risk of importing your own go for it.
If you see value in having a locally supported warranty and experienced Braumeister brewers helping you with any issues that might come up pay the extra.
Its entirely your choice; make it an informed one, reading through this thread is there even one unhappy Braumeister owner or one complaining about the price they paid or the service they received?
Mark
Marks Home Brew, proud to be supplying Braumeisters in Australia.

Could I do that?

If I import a unit myself and buy a replacement policy would I save much overall?

And then if the unit shits itself are the local agents obliged to replace the unit even though I imported it myself?

(genuine questions)

I have taken legal advice on this question
Braumeisters have a 12 month warranty as an agent, I cover warranty on what I sell and discuss it later with my German suppliers, if you brought one elsewhere take any warranty negotiations up with your supplier. Happy to sell you any parts you need but would anyone seriously expect me or any other dealer to hand them over for free to someone who brought their Braumeister elsewhere.
M

Last year FedEx bent five 50 litre Braumeisters so badly that the bodies needed replacing, thats $17,500 worth of stock that I have had to make good on. After quite a lengthy battle I got $2500 back from FedEx but to get that I had go get a lawyer on to the case.
A new 50 L BM Body costs 280 EU and shipping is the same as a new 50 L BM the total damage bill was $3,225 AU for the parts, not counting the time and other costs required do a total heart transplant on 4 units. My customers experienced delays in their equipment arriving but it didnt cost them one extra cent; in fact the last and least damaged units replacement body is here and will be sent out on Monday. Im a small business damage like this is pretty hard to sustain, I reached the point where I considered not bothering to deal with Braumeisters but decided to make a much smaller profit and use a better freight company instead.
Frankly I wouldnt trust FedEx to transport a fart in a padded bag and have gone back to using TNT even tho it costs about $320 more per unit at least they dont arrive fucked.

If youre so worried that I or one of the other agents in Australia is screwing you over that you want to take all the risk of importing your own go for it.
If you see value in having a locally supported warranty and experienced Braumeister brewers helping you with any issues that might come up pay the extra.
Its entirely your choice; make it an informed one, reading through this thread is there even one unhappy Braumeister owner or one complaining about the price they paid or the service they received?
Mark
Marks Home Brew, proud to be supplying Braumeisters in Australia.

I have taken legal advice on this question
Braumeisters have a 12 month warranty as an agent, I cover warranty on what I sell and discuss it later with my German suppliers, if you brought one elsewhere take any warranty negotiations up with your supplier. Happy to sell you any parts you need but would anyone seriously expect me or any other dealer to hand them over for free to someone who brought their Braumeister elsewhere.
M
+1 for Mark

+2 for MHB
Don't forget Ross...

He gave people that pre-ordered a discount too. Most sensible way to do it, let the retailer handle the 'bulk buy', albeit pre-ordered/paid by customers. I'm surprised more retailers aren't offering the pre-order arrangement any more.

+3 for MHB

Mark have you ever considered engaging a broker here to do the work for you
I used a bloke by the name of Ian Mobbs at Centruy Customs in Brisbane, he was excellent, let him know when you goods are ready to be collect in Germany, he does the rest, far cheaper and safer than any large company carrying service

+4 for Marks Home Brew

I bought my 50lt BM from Mark, I contacted all the other retailers and decided Mark was offering me the best deal.
After my BM arrived I received a call from Mark inquiring if everything was OK with the unit and offered me support and some tips. A few weeks later another call to see if all was good with the brews I had done, and asking if he could help in anyway.

I have never met Mark but I'm very impressed by his service, I have owned my BM close to 12 months now and he still gives me a courtesy call from time to time to ask how it's all going and have a chat about beery things.

I would very much recommend buying your BM from one of our local retailers.

Batz

Don't forget Ross...

He gave people that pre-ordered a discount too. Most sensible way to do it, let the retailer handle the 'bulk buy', albeit pre-ordered/paid by customers. I'm surprised more retailers aren't offering the pre-order arrangement any more.

I'm a bit surprised too. If somebody was, it would most likely get me over the line for the right price. With the money i saved, say if they got them rolling for $2k with the high aussie $, i'd likely spend the rest on tarting it up / ordering brew bits anyway.

Don't forget Ross...

To be fair Ross was not selling BM when I ordered mine, he did tell me was working on getting some but once I make up my mind I wanted one....I wanted one then!

Batz

I'm a bit surprised too. If somebody was, it would most likely get me over the line for the right price. With the money i saved, say if they got them rolling for $2k with the high aussie $, i'd likely spend the rest on tarting it up / ordering brew bits anyway.

I'd also be keen for a 20L BM for 2k, and i'll take a $250 gift certificate too.

Keen much :(

Latest posts

Back