Quantcast

Braumeister Pump Issue

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 20L Braumeister which i have used for about 8 brews so far, I'm having a problem where the pump will work fine when used on manual mode with cool/warm water when cleaning, but when the unit had a pump break whilst brewing it takes a while for the pump to actually start, it sound as if it does a few revolutions then stops and keeps trying until it eventually starts.

The same thing happens if i interrupt the brew and then press continue.
I have had a new pump sent from Spiedel and seems to be doing the same thing... Just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue??

Thanks

Malted

Humdinger
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 20L Braumeister which i have used for about 8 brews so far, I'm having a problem where the pump will work fine when used on manual mode with cool/warm water when cleaning, but when the unit had a pump break whilst brewing it takes a while for the pump to actually start, it sound as if it does a few revolutions then stops and keeps trying until it eventually starts.

The same thing happens if i interrupt the brew and then press continue.
I have had a new pump sent from Spiedel and seems to be doing the same thing... Just wondering if anyone else has a similar issue??

Thanks

Have you discussed the matter with your Braumeister supplier?

doon

Reaction score
Are you properly ventilating the pump before you start? You need to put it in manual mode then tilt it away from you at 45 degree angle and turn pump on and off a few times.

I Had exactly the same issue until I started doing this process. Have never had the issue since

Maheel

Reaction score
You need to put it in manual mode then tilt it away from you at 45 degree angle and turn pump on and off a few times.
out of interest is that tilt the whole unit & is that in the manual ?

Wimmig

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my new BM. The first 2 batches went fine, after that pump troubles. Mark from MHB sent a new pump up, did a brew on it and it seemed to go all fine. I'll keep an eye on it during the next few batches in the coming weeks. My problems were pretty similar to yours.

doon

Reaction score
out of interest is that tilt the whole unit & is that in the manual ?
Yes tilt whole unit. It's in the manual page 8 point 10.3

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
Probably a method to bleed out the air. Pumps don't work very well if they are trying to compress air.

doon

Reaction score
No. You don't fill the whole thing you just put enough water in to cover heating elements and then tilt it away from you. I have not had an issue since doing this but did before

doon

Reaction score
And I went and looked at manual I don't have it memorised!!

alfadog

Reaction score
I have had this problem and have got to the point that I am having a pump sent out from Germany. I have tried the ventilation trick but it may have been too late to save the pump. Will keep you posted on the outcome with the new pump.

doon

Reaction score
Yeah it says in that little section in manual that pump can run dry if you don't do this and it stuffs the pump. Hopefully new pump goes ok for you!

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hmmm, well I have a brand new pump from Germany and its doing the same thing, couldnt see it being the controller??

doon

Reaction score
And your doing the ventilating thing?

juzz1981

Reaction score
I haven't tried tilting but on startup the controller automatically performs a ventilation

doon

Reaction score
Try tilting it then and doing it in manual it's the trapped air bubbles that the pump struggles to clear

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Mine was doing the very same thing. Then I started to vent it properly and now its fine. Just give it a few good runs in manuel mode and even tilt it a bit and I tap mine with the handle of a small screwdriver just to get the small air bubbles out from behind the impeller.
Works perfect every time now.
Also while its upside down drying, unscrew the pump and pop off the impeller and make sure the holes are not blocked in the impeller, as this will trap air also.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Mine was doing the very same thing. Then I started to vent it properly and now its fine. Just give it a few good runs in manuel mode and even tilt it a bit and I tap mine with the handle of a small screwdriver just to get the small air bubbles out from behind the impeller.
Works perfect every time now.
Also while its upside down drying, unscrew the pump and pop off the impeller and make sure the holes are not blocked in the impeller, as this will trap air also.
I always unscrew the pump whilst upside down and clear any blocked holes, I'm not sure if this is different to what your talking about. It the pump turns on for a few revolutions then Clicks off, it continues to do this until it eventually fully starts. I would have thought if it was an air problem then the pump would still turn, just not actually 'pump'?
Frustrating :(

Andyd

Reaction score
... and I tap mine with the handle of a small screwdriver just to get the small air bubbles out from behind the impeller.
Reminds me of the old days trying to start my old '74 Corolla in the mornings... pour a bucket of hot water over the engine and hit the starter motor solidly with a hammer, then everything ticked over fine :)

Andy

probablynathan

Reaction score
I always unscrew the pump whilst upside down and clear any blocked holes, I'm not sure if this is different to what your talking about. It the pump turns on for a few revolutions then Clicks off, it continues to do this until it eventually fully starts. I would have thought if it was an air problem then the pump would still turn, just not actually 'pump'?
Frustrating :(

First brew on the 20ltr Braumiester yesterday went great and the pump worked great. After I had cleaned the BM and the pump I filled it with clean water put it in manual and turned the pump on and got a similar problem. The pump stops and starts 1 -20 times until the pump starts to run normally, even after venting and getting it running if I stop the pump and start it again the same thing happens.

any advice?

Latest posts