Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angus_grant said:
So I had a brain fart in my Brewton thread. I have been planning to use a 9" false bottom for the bottom filter in my malt pipe. And then I suddenly realised that the top of the Big W pot is 30cm which is 12". So perhaps a 12" false bottom could be the top filter plate. I've still got to check whether the false bottom would cover the malt pipe, etc, etc...

The loss of volume in the malt pipe due to the domed bottom filter would be accounted for in the domed top filter.....

Any reason not to use false bottoms besides ignoring the whole Braumiser theme and spending some $$$'s..... Be about $100 for two false bottoms....
I used a false bottom for both the upper and lower filter plate. They do the job pretty well and I have done a few brews with them now.

The only downfall I see to the domed shape is the grain fills inside the dome and the wort takes the path of least resistance which is up the sides of the malt pipe. I get around this by stopping the mash once or twice and giving it a stir.

One benefit of the domed false bottoms is they are very strong and could handle a lot of pump pressure without bending and they can be trimmed to size with a pair of tin snips.

Get the ones with 2mm holes and you don't need and mesh screens

Cheers

So I starting cutting up some stainless plate and the Big W malt pipe on the weekend. Used a diamond cutting tool on the angle grinder. (Not a bunnings one - one from a fibreglass supply shop - ymmv) cut hot, but beautifully. Quite simple. Round and Round and easy enough. Still need to clean it up with the flapdisc. malt pipe + upper and lower plates fit - I still need to cut out the holes in the plates - any recommendations on whether to go for slits as per Steve's design or drill a bunch of holes? (pretend perf) Planning on using stainless mesh on upper and lower... the upper plate was a little too small (forgot the top is 30.5 rather than 30!!!) so plan on using a seal around the top plate to prevent grain leakage - any suggestions? (thinking silicon hose at this point)

I'm thinking about getting a 2nd BigW pot to extend the height to 35cm ala PeteQ's design - which should allow a 1070 in a 20L batch from my calculations on the spreadsheet. (btw - there is an error with how it calculates sparge water - I'll fix it soon and re-post).

Is 3/8" thick OD silicon hose the goods for the malt pipe seal?

And was thinking a 2400w tobins element and an additional ots element from them for the boil. Any comments? / ideas?

oh - finally - I got some three way valves from china - they look pretty good - is there any reason why you wouldn't drain from the bulkhead on the outside edge of the pot rather than a bulkhead going through the side of the pot and a pickup?

Thinking about this for the plumbing. Allows whirlpooling (run outside the pot and back through top) and draining through the same valve. Any comments on whether it is a good / bad idea? - I know it means i am draining through the pump - but have no idea if that could cause issues - any thoughts?

Thanks!

20130309_165120.jpg

Hi Lael,
Looks like it would work ok as long as you can get it all screwed together short enough.
Probably a bit late seeing as you have the valves but a 3 way valve might have worked well with that layout in place of the tee and the two valves ??
Cheers
Dave

Davethebrewer said:
Hi Lael,
Looks like it would work ok as long as you can get it all screwed together short enough.
Probably a bit late seeing as you have the valves but a 3 way valve might have worked well with that layout in place of the tee and the two valves ??
Cheers
Dave
yeah, I actually got one...and then found out that you can't control flow with a 3 way.... :( it's either open or closed. I thought I would prob want to be able to control the pump flow.

Just some updated pic of my rig. Using Nev's Hermit controller as i am electrically useless. Pumped out about 15 brews on this so far and basically have it down pat.
Luke :drinks:

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

looks good luke, I apologise for not being able to do what I said I would but life sometimes throws you a curve ball.

cheers steve

matho said:
looks good luke, I apologise for not being able to do what I said I would but life sometimes throws you a curve ball.

cheers steve
Hey Matho,

You have done more than enough with advise and help along the way. Completely understand about the curveballs. Ive had my share aswell.
Happy Brewing

Luke

lukec said:
Just some updated pic of my rig. Using Nev's Hermit controller as i am electrically useless. Pumped out about 15 brews on this so far and basically have it down pat.
Luke :drinks:
Nice job Luke, looks like the Herm-it was a success. What is the screen for ?
Do you use it to boil or bypass ?
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
Nice job Luke, looks like the Herm-it was a success. What is the screen for ?
Do you use it to boil or bypass ?
Nev
Use iPad with beersmith 2 for all the timers.

Mattiharding

Element is from Thermal products in Thomastown

Hi luke, is it made out of an old keg?

I'm kinda thinking of going down this route, if kegs work ok it'll save me butchering a brand new pot.

pat_00 said:
Hi luke, is it made out of an old keg?

I'm kinda thinking of going down this route, if kegs work ok it'll save me butchering a brand new pot.
Hey Pat,

Yeah 50l legally purchased keg. 20l big-w pot and a Gryphon Brewing Controller. If you like pm me and I'll email you some more specific photos and details.

Luke

P.S currently building one for a mate aswell.

lukec said:
If you like pm me and I'll email you some more specific photos and details.

Maybe post them here as well . . .others will be interested . ..

Cheers

Started purchasing bits for my brauthingo.

I have a legally acquired keg I will be butchering next weekend.

Going with the 19l bigw malt pipe, and have ordered that magma grill plate from whitworths, along with some skin fittings. Got some SS allthread and bolts/nuts/washers on the way.

I still have to sort out the element and the bottom filter/seal. I have been in touch with a crowd for the element, just need to finalise the length I need. For the bottom seal I will try the split heavy duty silicon hose from KK. Hopefully it will work OK on the bottom of the keg.

Will be taking lots of pics, and I plan to post them in this thread.

Hey edak,

How yours rolling along, been following since you started and interested to see how your going with it. . We still have to have a beer and either coldstream or Hargreaves and talk some bullocks. Hargreaves ESB is magnificent.

Hey Luke,

My system is still going strong and now with upgraded storage and kegging will get more of a workout too :p

Oh boy can I talk bullocks! It's been really difficult for me to get away but I still am holding onto that invitation down to the valley :) I agree their ESB is great, I bet even more so fresh from the brewery.

I have one of the other members coming to check out the system next week some time (still pending) so it will be nice to get their opinions first hand.

Having had a look at your photos earlier, what are you using for your sparge?

Just finished my build! Woohoo! brewed for the first time starting late last night - that was a mistake! 5am finish for first all grain brew. lol. Wondered why the the immersion chiller had stopped dropping the temps at 40C at 3am... then realised I'd turned the heating element on. nice. tired = mistakes. (I'd switched to manual for whirlpooling).

How long does is it normally take everyone from start to finish on their BrauClone?

Posting this here for comment from others (was asked on another thread). Judanero is going to build a system and can get custom pot sizes. The attached spreadsheet is my ideal sizing I would do if I could do custom pot sizes. Any comments/recommendations for him?

(I've also fixed some issues in the spreadsheet and added some more comments on what column is what).

View attachment Judanero's Braumiser_Volume_ScenarioTester.xls

Back