Braumeister & Dopplebock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
Any Braumeister owners out there done a Dopplebock before?

The OG I am aiming for is well outside the regular range for the Braumeister, even with the tips to get the most out of it.

I can see three options from here
1. Doble-Doble mash - mash with 5kg, refill malt pipe and mash with a second 5kg
Pros - All Grain all the way Cons - Time
2. Half Grain, half extract.
Pros - Easier Cons - Can't/hard to get Munich extract, hard to find straight pilsner malt extract, I am an all-grain snob
3. Mash in Braumeister and Sparge, Drain to old keggle, Mash a second lot, drain and long boil
Pros - Similar to Doble mash Pro/con??? - Extra melanoidins from long boil

Can anyone offer me any advice on which way to go here? Any experiences?
I've read a few previous topics on High grav with the Braumeister, although only the double mashed barley wine got a high enough gravity.

option 3 will be the easiest as you can exactly calculate the values you need, pre boil OG and volume, boil off, etc.
With option 1 it's a bit hit and miss, at least for the first time.

I wouldn't consider option 2.

I haven't done any of them yet, and if I do I might do option 1, but more out of curiosity. If I wanted it right the first time round I would go with option 3.

Don't know why Florian isn't advocating option 2. It's the only one of the three where you aren't doubling your work. Jamil wrote an entire book full of award winning extract beer recipes and will always take the side of dosing with some extract to bump up gravity. In a 1.080+ beer you aren't going to really notice if a third of that gravity is from extract, maybe side by side but they'd both be very good beers. Munich and Pilsner extract are easy. Briess make them. Go to Grain and Grape or Craftbrewer.

If I were you I would do option 1 or 3 and then do option 2. Take note of the extra process (particularly the time and f**king about) then try both side by side and see if it's worth it. If you knock out a 1.060 bock with your BM mash and then dose it up to 1.080+ with extract you're only adding a quarter of the fermentables as extract. I would suggest maybe going a degree or two lower with your mash temp to account for the slightly lower fermentability of the extract you'd be adding.

Oh and rock out with your bock out! :party: Fermenting a Traditional Bock at the moment. Can't wait to have it fully lagered for the cool start to spring.

Grow up a metric shit tonne of yeast too. Make a regular lager and then dump the doppelbock on the cake or make an 8+L starter.

Oh and rock out with your bock out! :party: Fermenting a Traditional Bock at the moment. Can't wait to have it fully lagered for the cool start to spring.

Grow up a metric shit tonne of yeast too. Make a regular lager and then dump the doppelbock on the cake or make an 8+L starter.

Indeed, I am going to call it "My huge Bock"

Fermenting a Helles at the moment and the bock will go on the yeast afterwards.
And if all goes well and the yeast is still in good shape afterwards, Ill give it a low gravity starter wort for a few days then try an eisbock

Having done the barely wine with option one I would probably not do it again unless I could really be bothered. I want to try and make a 7-8 % ipa soon and will most likely just bump it up with extract to save time

Anyone ever consider the 1.5x batch for big beers? Like two 17l cube?

Must be a hell of a big Bock, I have got over 1.100 out of my Braumeister without adding extract.
Naturally the volume and efficiency are going to go way down, but thats always the case when making big beer no matter what type of system you use.
Just use as little water as you can to form a pumped circuit and budget for a 2 hour boil.
Mark

Must be a hell of a big Bock, I have got over 1.100 out of my Braumeister without adding extract.
Naturally the volume and efficiency are going to go way down, but thats always the case when making big beer no matter what type of system you use.
Just use as little water as you can to form a pumped circuit and budget for a 2 hour boil.
Mark

Thats all good when you have a 50L Braumeister Mark, but with my 20 after a long boil and small initial volume, I'll probably only end up with 15L of 1.080 bock, and after 3-6 months of lagering and 6 months of aging (and tasting along the way to check that its ok :icon_drunk: ) I'll probably only get one stubbie that will make the distance.

If you mash in with 23 litres and use 5.5kg of grain then sparge with 8 litres mash second lot of 5.5 and sparge with 9 you should end up with 20 in fermenter at least

Latest posts

Back