Braumeister And Hop Flowers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSwiller

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well Ive placed an order for a 20L Braumeister - :) :)
One question I have is I always have one keg of CPA Clone on tap which I use hop flowers, with my kettle at the moment I use a stainless scrubber on the end of the dip tube to filter the flowers and trub....

Whats peoples experience with flowers and the Braumeister?

Thanks in advance

It is my experience with a Braumeister that whole hop flowers are good fun

Geez!!!!!

Thats a SERIOUS hop addition!
How did you go about draining the wort out with all those hops... I assume your Braumeister is 'standard'?

I am assuming there is plenty of hopping experiments to come out of the dark, with BM brewing..

Hopping the malt pipe in particular.... Mash hoping.. reducing the boil... etc..
But Malted, When have you added those hops to that BM? Looks like you have drained it and decided you chuck your fresh harvest in?

Or are they wet or is there something I am missing here?

BTW: Sorry, not a BM brewer or about to be so absolute 2c.

@ Beerswiller - it is smoke and mirrors. They are fresh off the bine so take up a much larger volume than dried hops.

There is only 800g of fresh hops in it. In dry weight equivalent (DWE) this would be about 200g DWE in a 50L batch. That is only 100g DWE / 25L or 4g DWE / L as a 10 minute addition. I have plans afoot to make beers using a lot more hops...
Here is a picture of how many hops went in: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry879116 Suckfull shirt huh!

@ Cocko - Yeah some experiments are sure to follow, it is a pretty good hop season in my backyard :super: . These were just a small portion of the crop that happened to be ready to go on brewday. Hopping the malt pipe would be just like mash hoping in a MT except you'd probably wash more of the lupulin off the hops. I am not sure how this would affect utilisation.

There is about 50L of wort under those fresh hops. These hops were meant to be a 10 minute addition to the wort at the end of the boil but it ended up more like a 20 min addition due to stuffing around with blockages.

I have used whole flowers with a pick-up tube and they get stuck in it. I have used whole flowers without the pick-up tube and they clog the tap. On this occasion I had to jam a zip tie through the tap and into the pick-up tube so it protruded and kept hop flowers from entering it. Gravity feed seems to cause less blockages than sucking with a pump which seems to exasperate blockages.

I like to use my hop rocket as a screen to catch any flowers before they get stuck in the rest of the plumbing or the chiller. Link to pictures here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...57118&st=40

Whole flowers do tend to settle quite well in the trub during whirlpooling, especially with the element sorta holding them back. I have a few problems (blockages) with them and have not sorted out the best way to use them in a BM yet. I am not going to stop trying just yet. This phot was taken immediately after chucking them in. After they had boiled for a bit they did not float on the surface anymore and sank to the bottom during whirlpooling.

I saw one fellow here on AHB that mulches up his hops before using them, this would seem to be ideal with the hop rocket to catch any debris before the plate chiller = no blockages anywhere. He seemed to have a good argument for mulching his hop cones.

Edit: you lose a lot more wort to kettle trub when you use large amounts of hops and despite being green and 'wet' the buggers seem to soak up a bit of the wort too.

Might go down to the local sheet metal joint and see if they could make up a neat s/s perforated plate to slide down braumeister at start of boil. It might just sit on top of the elements and act like a hop filter. Thats how they filter at the otter brewery in Devon England and it's like a perfect filter. Very interesting Malted.

Might go down to the local sheet metal joint and see if they could make up a neat s/s perforated plate to slide down braumeister at start of boil. It might just sit on top of the elements and act like a hop filter. Thats how they filter at the otter brewery in Devon England and it's like a perfect filter. Very interesting Malted.

That would probably work! Like a big, flat, false bottom.
You'd only use it when using whole flowers, I don't think it would be of benefit when using pellets.
Trub would settle on top of it and the hops and would drain the liquid through to underneath. You'd probably want a spacer or similar to lift it up off the bottoma and hence slightly above the element. Sort of like a large version of the filter plates. After mash out the pumps do come on until it reaches a certain temp and then they stop (not sure at what temp) so this liquid pressure could force the FB plate upwards perhaps?
I might just try using a big hop sock or a BIAB bag to throw the whole flowers in during the boil.

Keep us posted if you do go down the perforated plate route.

Hi Guys,

Just about to do my 2nd brew on my BM and this time will be using about 30g PoR cones, was still thinking about the blockage issue and with my old keggle I just used a SS Scrubber on the end of my dip tube to filter... which worked great.
I don't have a dip tube for the BM but was thinking if i just jammed the SS Scrubber between the element and tap, this would work??

Any thoughts?

Hi Guys,

Just about to do my 2nd brew on my BM and this time will be using about 30g PoR cones, was still thinking about the blockage issue and with my old keggle I just used a SS Scrubber on the end of my dip tube to filter... which worked great.
I don't have a dip tube for the BM but was thinking if i just jammed the SS Scrubber between the element and tap, this would work??

Any thoughts?

The brew Im fermenting right now had 125g of Saaz plugs, no problem.
Just whirlpooled well and nearly all the hops were deposited inside the elements, near the end I held a spoon over the tap and tipped the Braumeister forward to get a bit more.
Black Hefeweizen (calling it Cerveza a Levadura Negra) smelling wonderful.
Mark

Back