Braumeister 20L Plus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forums so go easy on me!

I'm getting ready to get back into home brewing and really like the idea of an all in one system such a the Braumeister 20L Plus. My question is where is the best place to buy one? I am in the north of Sydney.

Some research always seems to lead back to Grain and Grape in Melbourne. Any other suggestions closer to home?

I would seriously consider getting one of the cheap ones as a trial, depending on what you anticipate doing you may find 20L too small.
Get a cheapy, do a few brews, realise you actually need a bigger one, or not as the case may be, flog it for half price and get the Brau, cost maybe a couple hundred bucks for the experience, much better than spending two and a half grand only to realise it's not big enough, or worse still that it's not your thing after all.
What's worth remembering is you can always do a half batch/low alcohol in a big unit, but you can't do a double batch/high alcohol in a small one.
fwiw I love my all in one, and my only regret is not getting the bigger unit.

Agreed. Not to disparage a high end system like that, but for $400 you can get a 40L Guten or 35L Brewzilla.

20L of beer and 6kg max grain is a bit tight if you decide to do big beers (Imperial Stouts etc)

And you save $2,300 to find out if you enjoy it. You won't be able to tell a beer made on a Guten / Brewzilla vz a Braumeister once it's done and dusted.

Sounds like you've had some previous experience to know what you need. Not everyone wants to upgrade to a 50L and some 50L owners have downsized to 20L. You can future proof up to a point but lifestyles/priorities change.

That aside, buy once cry once. The BM is a good unit as everyone already knows. You might save a bit at the start with a basic but that depends if you're up for a bit of research, diy fix when it doesn't work out. Not bashing the other units, but my BM will last me a lifetime. 6 years in 2 countries over a hundred batches and dropped once, still shiny as new after a quick PBW wash. The enjoyment and reassurance has paid for itself.

Don't get me wrong the BM is great. But a 3 year warranty on a Guten at 1/6th the price you could buy one every three years for 18 years ahaha.

Just saying, 20L is all fine. No dramas, but there's no reason you can't do smaller batches in a 50L. It's almost the same footprint.

O.P is asking about the BM, and I'm trying to answer his queries.

Depends on where the 'value' is. Time spent to replace parts, delivery, down time, more landfill.

Never needed to replace a single screw on my BM. Ready for action coz its built like a tank.
I have my old mans 50 year old Bosch drill still working without missing a beat, the reliability and history brings great joy.

Horses for courses Kadmium.

True believers, gotta luv em, no point talking common sense or alternatives, none so blind as them that don't want to see. "I've got one, it's great" period.
Have you tried one of the others Ealing? No, I thought not, yep big call but I'd be amazed if you had.

O.P. "really like the idea of an all in one system such a the Braumeister 20L Plus"

That's a comment about all in ones, and the Brau as an example.

Pray to your God, because everybody else has it wrong, Jeez

Correct. I was offering options to the single vessel system, as an alternative to a 20L BM for almost $3k.

Perhaps money isn't an option. But $2,700 as opposed to $400 for an almost identical system is a good -option- for OP to consider.

Yes, the BM is probably built like a tank. Yeah, it better hope that it's better quality. But to disparage against other options, simply because you have a BM and the OP mentioned it as -an option- isn't really the point of a forum.

Perhaps if OP had said "I am purchasing a new 20L BM, anyone know where the best place to source one is?" Then sure, no issues. I wouldn't offer other options. But the question was a little more general in nature, and asked about opinions related to single vessel brew systems such as the BM and where to purchase.

The Guten, Brewzilla, and Grain Father are all single vessel systems. Like the BM.

Also, talking about turn key, does the BM come with a chiller?

O.P is asking about the BM, and I'm trying to answer his queries.

Depends on where the 'value' is. Time spent to replace parts, delivery, down time, more landfill.

Never needed to replace a single screw on my BM. Ready for action coz its built like a tank.
I have my old mans 50 year old Bosch drill still working without missing a beat, the reliability and history brings great joy.

Horses for courses Kadmium.
Oh, and also to assume that somehow people who use cheaper options like a Guten are somehow constantly replacing parts, throwing things in the landfill and waiting by their letterbox for spare parts to arrive is just down right wrong.

What gives you the right to make generalised sweeping statements about competitors to the BM without any evidence to back your claim.

I see nothing but YouTube videos and forum posts about all the great beer people produce on those systems. Last I heard there weren't any turtles dying from the sheer volume of Guten malt pipes being dumped on the great barrier reef by the boat load.

If you feel superior because you spent 6 times the money on YOUR system, great for you. But not everyone has the cash to splash, and without knowing the OPs financial situation, I figured who wouldn't like to know about other cheaper options.

True believers, gotta luv em, no point talking common sense or alternatives, none so blind as them that don't want to see. "I've got one, it's great" period.
Have you tried one of the others Ealing? No, I thought not, yep big call but I'd be amazed if you had.

O.P. "really like the idea of an all in one system such a the Braumeister 20L Plus"

That's a comment about all in ones, and the Brau as an example.

Pray to your God, because everybody else has it wrong, Jeez

Never said they're bad. I actually recommended Robobrew/Guten and Grainfather to new brewers. I bought mine 2nd hand and if anyone wants to get an idea about the BM, I'm happy to share that. I'm not wealthy or rich, just lucky I got one. Sorry if you guys felt insulted, never intended. Anthony I'm sure the other guys are here to help provide insights to the other systems.

i bought a gf cos i couldn't afford a bm at the time. interestingly, as i alluded to in earlier post, eyeing off a 50Lguten as opposed to a bm, cos with the money saved, i can get some serious fermenter gear. and the gf has needed a $25 tap over the course of 170 brews. that's still a long way short of the price of the bm. horses for courses. i'm starting to think bm and gf have both had their day in the sun cos they both cost too much for what they do, in comparison to what else is around

Well that turned a bit lively!

Thanks for the feedback guys - I have a few more things to consider now with the options some have put forward. In terms of budget, the BM is an option for me, just better not tell she who must be obeyed what they cost! I also am seeking a 20 litre sized unit - happy to brew each or every 2nd weekend to keep the supply constant and try many different recipes.

Grainfather, brewzilla seem to be not too difficult to find retailers in Sydney. Anyone know where to buy BM's in Sydney?

Calm down.

You said it yourself. Cheaper to replace it several times.

I bought mine second hand.
I'm perfectly calm, you got yourself in a twist because we answered the question about "systems like the BM" with alternatives and you implied that the cheaper options all end up in the landfill and constantly broken down.

Grainfather, brewzilla seem to be not too difficult to find retailers in Sydney. Anyone know where to buy BM's in Sydney?
No, we’re pretty underdone for home brew shops in Sydney.
Buy yeast, hops and specialty malts from my locals, but inevitably my major equipment purchases come from Vic (usually China via Vic).

No, we’re pretty underdone for home brew shops in Sydney.
Buy yeast, hops and specialty malts from my locals, but inevitably my major equipment purchases come from Vic (usually China via Vic).
thanks HB! After the half page of sniping, this is very useful. Hop and Grain in Marrickville seems to be okay - at least their website is quite extensive.

Latest posts

Back