Brau Wolf.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
Another single vessel brewery to come out of China they have a 40 litre and a 60 litre, well made and a satin finish on the outside, highly polished malt pipe with a cleverly designed base plate which interlocks on to the malt pipe. They have obviously read the Guten thread to pick up on the ideas, a bazooka on top of the return pipe which needs some attention otherwise on a full volume mash a lot of the wort will be going down the return pipe.
Side by side with the Guten 50 litre they are exactly the same height and the strengthening bead is in exactly the same position as the Guten which leads me to believe both Guten and Brau Wolf stainless parts are outsourced to the same s/steel vessel manufacturers. There is no top screen, which suits me but maybe not others. No doubt the manufacturer may take that into consideration. Obviously the Brau Wolf is a larger dia than the Guten for the extra volume.
The control panel does pretty much what the Guten does, 9 steps, alarms for hop additions and step finishes user friendly and 3000w fitted with a 15 amp plug. Did a boil to check the loss, boiled easily on 2400w, though I did have the hood of my BM on top of the unit.

003.JPG 005.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG
The bazooka on the outlet I fitted to a 90 degree elbow just to keep it out of the way.

As I have enough SBV's I will either auction or raffle this off for charity.

Flexible arm looks cool. I imagine it gets quite hot?
Does it have variable wattage like the Guten or multiple switches like a Robobrew?
What was the ramp time like to get to a boil?

Anything that stands out above the other comparatively priced units?

Flexible arm looks cool. I imagine it gets quite hot?
Does it have variable wattage like the Guten or multiple switches like a Robobrew?
What was the ramp time like to get to a boil?

Anything that stands out above the other comparatively priced units?
Yes 2 elements and variable wattage, one power switch, everything exactly the same as the latest Guten . Never timed the boil but the boil off was 5 litres per hour same as I get on the Guten.
Was going to try a 50 litre full volume batch but will either have to a smaller batch and second runnings or do the 50 litre and sparge. I don't know the price but would imagine it should come somewhere around the others.

Who is going to sell these, or are they just looking to sell direct from china?

I love to get a 50l system :). But I also really like the grainfather wifi control box...

cheers
stefan

Grainfather control box
Someone on the Facebook page (I think) “British Ale Appreciation Society” attached a grainfather connect to their version of a Guten (ace micro brewery)
It looked to be a simple change over
I have been thinking about doing it to my Guten but only after the warrenty expires

Grainfather control box
Someone on the Facebook page (I think) “British Ale Appreciation Society” attached a grainfather connect to their version of a Guten (ace micro brewery)
It looked to be a simple change over
I have been thinking about doing it to my Guten but only after the warrenty expires
That was magical pancake,

Hey @wide eyed and legless isn't that the one from FDKU and don't they make the new 40l Guten?
They list their 40l unit as a Guten at least, but with the same flexible recirc pipe..
Just wondering as I've asked them to provide a price for a sample delivered to Shanghai.

Hey @wide eyed and legless isn't that the one from FDKU and don't they make the new 40l Guten?
They list their 40l unit as a Guten at least, but with the same flexible recirc pipe..
Just wondering as I've asked them to provide a price for a sample delivered to Shanghai.
Yes that's the one, they do seem to be a good unit, good circuit board and screen but pretty much the same as the Guten, no top screen which is no bother but I am sure they would provide one if asked, overflow pipe too short, made up for that with some silicone tube also comes with the bazooka screen to sit on the top of the overflow so I can see he has been doing his homework on the Guten thread.

Yes that's the one, they do seem to be a good unit, good circuit board and screen but pretty much the same as the Guten, no top screen which is no bother but I am sure they would provide one if asked, overflow pipe too short, made up for that with some silicone tube also comes with the bazooka screen to sit on the top of the overflow so I can see he has been doing his homework on the Guten thread.

Cool! Hopefully they will give a decent price delivered to Shanghai and I'll get the wife to bring it back with her next time she heads there.
Saves all that shipping and taxes etc. :)

The 40l Guten is working fine but it would be nice to have a bit more capacity sometimes.

Cool! Hopefully they will give a decent price delivered to Shanghai and I'll get the wife to bring it back with her next time she heads there.
Saves all that shipping and taxes etc. :)

The 40l Guten is working fine but it would be nice to have a bit more capacity sometimes.
The owner of FDKU is a keen brewer and is a member on AHB

OK first brew today on the Brau Wolf, everything went smoothly, nothing unexpected happened, should have put a longer piece of silicone to extend the malt pipe. Still, almost 12 kg of grain and nearly busted something getting the malt pipe out of the kettle. Should have factored in loss to trub ended up with exactly 50 litres after boil. I have the dregs in the fridge in two jugs so hopefully can capture another 2 or 3 litres.
001.JPG Dough in. 002.JPG Mash 003.JPG Raising the malt pipe, bloody heavy.
006.JPG Boil 008.JPG First hop additions011.JPG transferring to fermenter
012.JPG Clear wort013.JPG Still running clear014.JPG Almost there
015.JPG 42 litres with another 3 litres to add. Could add more water as is a couple of points over OG but will leave it. Happy with performance, especially happy with interlocking bottom screen to malt pipe, a really good idea, something Guten could steal back.:)

Two questions WEAL how much are the 60 litre units, and what volume did you actually end up with into the fermenters.

I have no idea of the cost, wouldn't be to expensive but freight is the downside. Ended up with 44 litres, probably could have got more had I let the break and hop material settle more but it was getting late and I wanted to pitch the yeast. What I did do was use the Brau Meister idea of reducing the outflow on the tap by making up a nylon reducer down to 8mm from 12mm, which was fitted inside the bazooka, reduces the suction on the wort when emptying.
002.JPG
003.JPG This morning will let the co2 vent for a couple of days before purging the secondary's.

hi WEAL,

whats the go with those FV's - they appear to be Fermentasaurus's without the hole and butterfly valve / bulb?

Do you have anotehr thread for those and the details.

Dan

Back