Brass Snap Ons For Brew Rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i have just finished a wet run on my new brew rig,
i have used a couple of brass click on hose connectios,after the first run i pulled it apart to see how cleaning would go,

now after pulling the hoses off etc i reckon i need a few more to make disconnecting quicker and easier.
how have the guys that use theses brass fittings found them, i would like the stainless camloks but they are a bit pricy at the moment.

do you find that they seal properly and dont suck air or leak.

fergi

They are fine. my HLT sucks in air but thats the kinko nut on the inside it does not suck air untill the water falls below that. Not a problem still drains fine. I find them really good I thought the rubber would heat up and melt on the o-ring but it hasnt even when I full blasted it with the open flame lol.

i have just finished a wet run on my new brew rig,
i have used a couple of brass click on hose connectios,after the first run i pulled it apart to see how cleaning would go,

now after pulling the hoses off etc i reckon i need a few more to make disconnecting quicker and easier.
how have the guys that use theses brass fittings found them, i would like the stainless camloks but they are a bit pricy at the moment.

do you find that they seal properly and dont suck air or leak.

fergi

I use to have them on my rig, maybe I had a shoddy brand but they would constantly leak or suck air! I have only just got rid of them and have 10 pairs of cam lock fitting on their way as we speak! :icon_chickcheers:

thanks for your replies there guys,

the ones i bought were neta brand Kev, they look pretty good quality, the cheaper ones looked pretty poor quality so i paid the extra, around 9 dollars each so all up about 20 dollars for a joiner, wish i had seen your deal first wally but i have spent my brewery money for now, i will keep that in mind.
also that web site kev is pretty cheap for the s/s gear.
did you buy any from that site .
fergi

Is there a reason why you don't hard plumb the rig? or is the removable hose idea just for ease of cleaning/sanitising?

Fergi,

I have another alternative here, but may be similar in pricing to stainless; dependant on who your s/s supplier is.

Wally

My first run through using those was good, apart from f*ck-up caused by me. No burnt fingers :icon_cheers:

Is there a reason why you don't hard plumb the rig? or is the removable hose idea just for ease of cleaning/sanitising?

personally i like the idea of being able to pull all the lines off and giving them a good boil sometimes.
in saying that i like the look of hard plumbed but i would worry that if you got any crap in there they may be harder to clean.
probably the hard plumed guys would disagree but thats my reason for flexible connections.

fergi

personally i like the idea of being able to pull all the lines off and giving them a good boil sometimes.
in saying that i like the look of hard plumbed but i would worry that if you got any crap in there they may be harder to clean.
probably the hard plumed guys would disagree but thats my reason for flexible connections.

fergi

I haven't plumbed mine yet, but i will go hard plumbed. I think if you use copper you need to be really strict about cleaning after the brew. But, If you use s/s any crap stuck in the lines will always be removed with caustic.

Having dabbled in the hydraulics industry, I agree with you and say the hard plumbed jobs look better, but like the idea of being able to boil the crap out of them at time to time.

If you had 2 pumps I think hard plumbing would be ok, Even then the kettle would need to be removed unless you pump it into the fermenter and I dont like this idea. I had a dedicated hose about 2 foot long with a fitting on the end so I can just connect that and drain into cubes or fermenters. I would hate to see whats living in my pump so choose not to pump into fermenters. The kettle boils for 60+ mins so if any bugs did get into that cant see them lasting that long.

Also I take my kettle and MT off the brew stand to clean its so much easier so that means they would need QD's

thanks for your replies there guys,

the ones i bought were neta brand Kev, they look pretty good quality, the cheaper ones looked pretty poor quality so i paid the extra, around 9 dollars each so all up about 20 dollars for a joiner, wish i had seen your deal first wally but i have spent my brewery money for now, i will keep that in mind.
also that web site kev is pretty cheap for the s/s gear.
did you buy any from that site .
fergi

I only paid around $11 each for stainless camlocks from Geordi, for an extra couple of $$ they are well worth it.

Back