Brass Or Stainless Steel?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Reaction score
I've been debating over the type of fittings to use in setting up for AG. I have read people say that brass is bad because it can leach out lead, giving beer a metalic taste. Brass is definately cheaper and easier to obtain than stainless steel, so is it really necessary to use stainless?
I notice many brewers using the odd brass fittings etc, and I assume with no apparent problems. And when i think about it logically, the water with which i would use to make the brew, has come via brass and copper plumbing anyway. Does it make any real difference?
I would be interested in the thoughts of other brewers, as to which is the better way to go.

thanks.

the short answer is alway use stainless if possible - gettin the bits from a place like prochem make it affordable. but brass is ok 2 as long as u pickle it as per palmer. so if all u can afford is brass then just go 4 it - as least it will keep u progressing with brewin

PS - there is also debate about stainless vs aluminium for brewpots, but some of the top shelf brewers on this site(not i btw) use aluminium with no side effects and produce gr8 beers- i just can't remember who

I was told that vinegar would pretty much do nothing to soak the lead out... it would need to be boiled in dilute hydrochloric acid or something...

if you are really worried about it, when you get your gear all together, run a hot acid ic solution through it a few times (like vinegar i guess) and it will leach out any lead that your beer is going to pull... mind you taps are brass... so its obviously not that bigger problem... if my beer gets to the point that its so good that people start complaining about the brass fittings, i'll be happy to replace them..

Back