Brand new to brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aprilia112

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to the home brew scene, just hasn't been something I ever had time for in the past.
I'm now very keen to get a full setup happening and have been looking at the Grainfather system but still uncertain and doing some research.
Would be keen if someone had a full setup they were selling to get me underway.......
Will probably be asking some stupid rookie questions along the way so take it easy on me.......
Cheers

Stop. Stop now. There's no turning back. Too late we've lost him :

The stupid rookie questions is how we all learn! All grain setups aren't too tricky to put together from bits if you need help there's plenty of it here. Pity you aren't in Adelaide I have a 40L kettle for sale.

What've you brewed so far? If nothing, I'd encourage you do to a couple of kit brews before diving in to AG... get a bit of a feel for fermentation, sanitation, temp control and so on... I only did 3 kits before AGing it.

Welcome to brewing mate. I would start with extract and a mini mash for good first results. No special equipment required.There are plenty of easy recipes out there to get you going. Just remember to brew what you like to drink and I agree that that rule no. 1 is sanitation for your fermentation stage.
Good luck and tell us how you go.
Cheers, Hadrian.

Before you go and buy a Grainfather .......

Dont be like " I am 50 and never ridden a bike....going to buy a Harley "

Go to a few brew days and just get your head around the whole process, talk to some brewers, then work out, that you really need a 750ss

Agree with Dbs go do a few brews with other all grain brews, it's the only way to find out what will work best for you.

As a new brewer that dived in the deep end and purchased a Grainfather straight up after a fair bit of research and couldn't be happier I say go for it.

As the other guys say do your research to see what system will suit you best. YouTube is a great source for information on how people run different systems.
You need to think about how much space you have for your brew rig. The Grainfather takes up little space. How much do you want to brew at any one time. The Grainfather limits you to around 23 litre batches which suits me, although you can brew higher gravity and dilute.
I found it a very easy system to use for someone who had never brewed before and have been producing good beer from the very first batch.
I have been brewing for just over a year now with the Grainfather and would recommend it to any level brewer. If it's in your budget and fits your other requirements I say go for it. With good sanitation and temp control for fermentation you will open yourself up to an amazing range of delicious brews. And if budget allows go straight to kegging **** bottles.

My 2c

Edit: if your going to jump in the deep end get yourself a stir plate and some Erlenmeyer flasks and some good liquid yeasts and build yourself up a yeast bank. Look up the Let's freeze some yeast thread.

Might as well get a mill and buy your grain in bulk. Get a vacuum sealer and buy your hops in bulk and freeze em. Now you'll need another freezer and probably some more fermentation fridges. You might as well get stainless fermentation vessels straight away too **** the budget.

Hope you have an understanding partner.

Have fun [emoji482][emoji482][emoji16]

Good luck mate - let us know what it's like when you get going!
Brewnicorn

As far as a budget goes, work out what you think it will cost all ( including the cost of replacing all of SWMBO stainless kitchen utensils ) and add a "0" at the end.

This will give the actual true cost :D

Ducatiboy stu , Aprilia112 ! Am I detecting a trend here with brewing and motorcycling?

If so, I am relieved that there are others out there with not enough time for either !
Triumph/BSA/Matchless- Hadrian.

Back