Brand New Keg Dip Tube Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crd0902

Reaction score
Hi all, got a brand new keg for fathers day and have a problem with the beer dip tube. It seems to be a straight tube and when i put it into the keg and it hits the bottom it seems too long and really have to struggle and twist and bend it to get it to seat properly. Anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it. I was thinking either bend it slightly so it clears the bowl at the bottom or just cut 10 mm or something off the bottom. Can I bend it with out kinking it. Also read a lot about the quality of these kegs and am a bit worried as inside at the bottom of the keg is like the steal has just been folded not seal welded and I read this may be a sterilising issue but I will see how it goes. Cheers for any help you may have.
Chris

I'd refrain from cutting it as it then needs to be 'cured' at the cut end, so I've read. Think of it as anti-rusting the cut part. All of my tubes have a bend in them. Go ahead and slightly bend it. Small adjustments at a time :)

BTW bending means putting a curve in it not just a big ass bend or your be buying a new one.

I am not meaning to say that you aren't noticing this but straight dip tubes generally have a pit in the bottom directly below the correct side for the beer out.

Are you putting the dip tube in the gas in side? That could explain why it isn't going all the way in.

Again, just throwing all the suggestions in here.

Failing the above, I would think a little heat and a internal tube bender to give it a gentle curve in on the bottom would solve the problem.

Best of luck.

I'd just cut it with a pipe cutting tool ($7 from bunnings). You need it raised from the bottom to avoid collecting yeast anyhow. If you are concerned that the metal of the dip tube is of a low enough quality that cutting it will be a corrosion issue then the rest of the keg is probably just as bad anyhow.

Cheers guys. The bottom of the new one is like an upside down bowl with a rim around the outside which is below the dip tube I say as a sediment trap but the dip tube is definitely in the hole labelled product. It just seems to sit right on top of the bowl but maybe it might wear in after some use and get a but more movement otherwise all it needs is a slight bend. Cheers

Hi all, got a brand new keg for fathers day and have a problem with the beer dip tube. It seems to be a straight tube and when i put it into the keg and it hits the bottom it seems too long and really have to struggle and twist and bend it to get it to seat properly. Anybody else had this problem and how did you fix it. I was thinking either bend it slightly so it clears the bowl at the bottom or just cut 10 mm or something off the bottom. Can I bend it with out kinking it. Also read a lot about the quality of these kegs and am a bit worried as inside at the bottom of the keg is like the steal has just been folded not seal welded and I read this may be a sterilising issue but I will see how it goes. Cheers for any help you may have.
Chris

I had the same problem with a couple of replacement dip tubes. I have never come across this problem before but the two replacements I got were a tad longer. I tried bending at different points but no matter what I did, it just wouldn't fit. I got the hacksaw out & took 5-10mm off the ends & re-bent the tube again & managed to get it to fit. It seems to be where the actual bend starts that may be the problem. I think that it's better to leave the tube as straight as possible & bend the end so it sits above the impression in the keg. If you have another keg around, get the dip tube out & lay them side by side & copy that one taking note where the actual bend starts.

Not sure if that will work as I've got 6 older corny kegs and one new one. The new one is different but I'll have a look tomorrow cheers

Back