Braided Food Grade Hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Is this braided hose ok to use in the brewery?
It states food grade & petrol resistant.
Purchased 5m of 1/2" silicone hose & do you think I can get the pump primed. I tried everything, shortened lines, clamped hoses, adjusted output of the pump, all to no avail. Put some of the braided hose on & away it went. Tested again & again & it fires up first time every time.
I'm sure I've used it a few years ago.

IMG_0770.jpg

I just bought some food grade braided silicone hose from Jehbco Silicones for work (pharmaceutical industry) and it was about 25 bucks a metre. They had a surgical grade that was about 65 bucks a metre that was unbraided and looked exactly like the stuff that the site sponsors sell for under $10 a metre, which makes me wonder if that stuff they sell is actually food grade.

The way we word things in our SOP's is that Food Grade means it's safe to ingest i.e you'd be ok to chew on the hose, and Incidental Contact, which means that you could rub your sandwiches on the hose without tasting it, leaving a mark on the Tip-Top White or getting sick from it. Surgical grade essentialy means you can implant it as a structural member of your old feller without it dropping off.

I'm just playing semantics with the wording on the hose here, and realise this is probably unhelpful, and if bits of the hose aren't flaking off into the wort, you'll be ok with it.

Thanks guys.
Spoke to Barfell's today & it's fine to use. The fact that it is only rated @60degC is basically a guideline & using it at brewery temps just shortens the life expectancy of the tube, still food grade.

Ok.
I managed to sort out the silicone hose, thank goodness.
I had planned on adding my grain to the mash tun & underletting from the HLT but have worked out for my system, I have to pretty much fully crank open the ball valve on the March pump otherwise by the time I get my lines & Rims tube filled, I seem to be getting some air in there somehow. I have not hose clamped the silicone hose & not sure if that makes any difference, it may. Previously I was opening the ball valve just a bit as to not suck down the grain in the Tun causing a stuck mash, this is where I kept losing my pump prime. I will be re-circulating through the Rims tube till it's clear before firing the element in the Rims. Once it's primed, it's working perfectly.
How fast are you guys running your re-circulation water? I assume opening the ball valve 1/3 to 1/2.
Do you think I should just get it all primed & add my grain to the Tun once everything is working or try underletting with a bit faster flow.
( Mashing in @3.75l/kg )

Back