Bowled Brown Ale recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brente1982

Reaction score
Ok, so ill admit, its taken me considerable time to understand how to use the excel spreadsheet properly, but i think ive finally got my head around it (couldnt get it around the brew day sheet :p)

So ive made a Brown Ale recipe, and would like some input on what you think of it.

So far ive come up with

1 can Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg
1 Can Black Rock Unhopped Amber 1.5kg
Dark Dry Malt 1kg
Wyeast 1272
Some sore of hops? Amarillo?

Not sure.
Some advice would be helpful. Im really keen to start making some brews i can be proud of so to speak.

Cheers in advance.

Yum. I'll be round shortly.

On a similar note, can anyone recommend a good summary of hops and their characteristics? It would be useful to have a "cheat sheet".

(Which means someone is likely to post a link to another post and abuse me for not searching. It's Sunday; these things happen).

cremmerson said:

On a similar note, can anyone recommend a good summary of hops and their characteristics? It would be useful to have a "cheat sheet".

(Which means someone is likely to post a link to another post and abuse me for not searching. It's Sunday; these things happen).
In that excel spreadsheet it had a list on a yeast tab, list their qualities, tastes and what they can be used for. located here http://aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=59984

brente1982 said:
Ok, so ill admit, its taken me considerable time to understand how to use the excel spreadsheet properly, but i think ive finally got my head around it (couldnt get it around the brew day sheet :p)

So ive made a Brown Ale recipe, and would like some input on what you think of it.

So far ive come up with

1 can Coopers Real Ale 1.7kg
1 Can Black Rock Unhopped Amber 1.5kg
Dark Dry Malt 1kg
Wyeast 1272
Some sore of hops? Amarillo?

Not sure.
Some advice would be helpful. Im really keen to start making some brews i can be proud of so to speak.

Cheers in advance.
By your yeast choice, i will assume you are brewing an american brown.
That's a pretty "open" style when it comes to aroma - malty or hoppy. My preference in any brown (english or american is for the malt to shine).
The hoppy ones I've encountered lean toward citrusy hops, so amarillo will work, it's essentially up to your preference.

cremmerson said:

You are lucky I am now caffeinated and not so grumpy. really Google is your friend. Search for Hop Chart and you will have a plethora to choose from...

Cheers.

If i dont add an addition of hops, there is no need to boil is there, so basically just disolve all ingredients in the fermenter and away she goes yeh?

brente1982 said:
Cheers.

If i dont add an addition of hops, there is no need to boil is there, so basically just disolve all ingredients in the fermenter and away she goes yeh?
Thats a big beer finishing around 6.2% alc, assuming 23L batch. It will need some extra hops to balance it out. If you dont want to boil just throw some hops in the fermenter with the rest of the ingredients. 40g of simcoe or columbus would be good for an american or styrian goldings or challenger for english. A blend of styrian and challenger would be my choice.

Cheers

Edit. I dont get the refference to "bowled", does it mean you'll be bowled over after a few?

bradsbrew said:
Thats a big beer finishing around 6.2% alc, assuming 23L batch. It will need some extra hops to balance it out. If you dont want to boil just throw some hops in the fermenter with the rest of the ingredients. 40g of simcoe or columbus would be good for an american or styrian goldings or challenger for english. A blend of styrian and challenger would be my choice.

Cheers

Edit. I dont get the refference to "bowled", does it mean you'll be bowled over after a few?
haha yeh, probably. I pushed it to 24L, brought it down to around 6%.
When you say add them to the fermenter, would that be in pellet, plug or t-bag form?

The tea bags are generally rubbish. kept at room temp etc....

go for flowers, pellets or plugs

Google is my friend but its also nice having ready access to an authoritative guide with a nod to local provisioning. But thanks - always nice having the obvious pointed out. Sigh.

brente1982 said:
haha yeh, probably. I pushed it to 24L, brought it down to around 6%.
When you say add them to the fermenter, would that be in pellet, plug or t-bag form?
Straight into the fermenter. Pellets work best for me when freeballin as a dry hop, make sure you get them from a brewshop that stores them the fridge. They will sink to the bottom when ferment is finished.

cremmerson said:
Google is my friend but its also nice having ready access to an authoritative guide with a nod to local provisioning. But thanks - always nice having the obvious pointed out. Sigh.

In that link is a number of sites that answer your question.
Obvious would have been me including a lmgtfy link but I'm not that guy. Sorry if you didn't find my post useful but I wasn't trying to be smart. I asked the same question when I first started using hops - people provided me with useful links.

Back