Bottling Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seamad

beer dog
Reaction score
Got a tripel sitting at -1 ready for bottling. OG 1080, FG 1008.

Reading blam it seems that most breweries add yeast and sugar and wondered if brewers here do this. If so could i use some us05 ?

Certainly packs a punch, after a sip from the hydro had to have a little lie down.

Cheers
sean

i recently bottled mine and only primed it. should be fine ether way.

Assuming the yeast in the beer can handle the higher alcohol, I would just prime normally.

Nothing wrong with adding some extra yeast though.

Its up to you really!

Reading blam it seems that most breweries add yeast and sugar and wondered if brewers here do this. If so could i use some us05 ?

Certainly packs a punch, after a sip from the hydro had to have a little lie down.

Cheers
sean

I wouldn't unless you think it won't carbonate. You've sat it in the cold hoping to drop yeast out. The only reason I can think of for adding fresh yeast at this point is because super long lagering or filtering has dropped too much of it out and it won't carbonate without. I've never added extra yeat to my belgians - only sour/funked things that have sat for over a year in glass before bottling.

I'd say most of the breweries just add the yeast for consistency and time purposes. Also some of them centrifuge or filter the yeast out and then re-add yeast before bottling

3 times I have done a Tripel and not once I have I added extra bottling yeast, and it has always carbonated OK (3787/WLP530 yeast all the way). If the yeast was tired (e.g. took ages for the last few points) I would consider it, but it should be OK.

If you do go down the route any old yeast should be OK as it will be such a small amount of sugar to ferment then not much flavour will come from it, just make sure it floccs well

I am in a similar situation

started a big triple at 1095
it stalled at 1028 and was just not pallatable.

I threw in some dry beer enzyme to dry it out.
I figure there is no way it will carbonate now

and that I could put in a combination of champaign yeast and sugar to carbonate.

Any ideas if this is a bad route to take?

That approach should work.

Why do you think it stalled? Not enough yeast?

Did you raise the fermentation temperature after a few days? That seems to be a universal suggestion for Belgian beers.

Cheers
sean

hey seamad,

i was in the exact same boat as u 3 weeks ago! i went ahead and bottled mine......mine sat at 1deg for about 110 days.

I upped the priming rate also to get closer to 3-3.5 vol

popped a small bottle yesterday to check carbonation and was fine!! i will leave it till the end of the weekend at ferment/carbing temp, then store the bottles cold until christmas/drinking time!!

mine also started at 1.080 and finished at 1.008 and fermented with 3738...

hey seamad,

i was in the exact same boat as u 3 weeks ago! i went ahead and bottled mine......mine sat at 1deg for about 10 days.

popped a small bottle yesterday to check carbonation and was fine!! i will leave it till the end of the weekend at ferment/carbing temp, then store the bottles cold until christmas/drinking time!!

I am in a similar situation

started a big triple at 1095
it stalled at 1028 and was just not pallatable.

I threw in some dry beer enzyme to dry it out.
I figure there is no way it will carbonate now

and that I could put in a combination of champaign yeast and sugar to carbonate.

Any ideas if this is a bad route to take?

What yeast did you use originally? I'm assuming that you assume the yeast died off due to the alc content?

must be the season for tripels...my (ephinay from BLAM) started at 1087 and is at 1014! massive beer this one, used 3787 as well, what a crackers of a yeast, krausen was touching the glad wrap and i only had 17L's in the fermenter at 18c.

dont know what to bottle it in, want something fancy but thinking grolsch bottles are the go for ease and size.

That approach should work.

Why do you think it stalled? Not enough yeast?

Did you raise the fermentation temperature after a few days? That seems to be a universal suggestion for Belgian beers.

I suspect the yeast, which is Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes (magic yeast btw, it is awesome) was just hammered after pumping out a 1065 blonde, a 1080 dubble and finally a 1095 triple.

enough yeast was pitched and fermentation started at 18 and rose up to 22 over 10 days.

What yeast did you use originally? I'm assuming that you assume the yeast died off due to the alc content?

i think alc poisioning too
the enzyme addition has helpe3d a bit. SG is at 1022 and it is a bit more palatable, but I simply think that the yeast is pooped.

Maybe I could bottle now with champaign yeast and no sugar addition, just yes what is left in the wort?

hey seamad,

i was in the exact same boat as u 3 weeks ago! i went ahead and bottled mine......mine sat at 1deg for about 110 days.

Aiming at same carb level too. Looking foward to popping some at chrissy too.
Pitched mine at 15 and set the stc to kick in at 26, which took just shy of three days. Had 19 l in a 25 l cube, exploded everwhere, just cleaned it all out too from a starter pale ale which did the same.

Was going to keg it but way too dangerous, stubbies much safer.

i think alc poisioning too
the enzyme addition has helpe3d a bit. SG is at 1022 and it is a bit more palatable, but I simply think that the yeast is pooped.

Maybe I could bottle now with champaign yeast and no sugar addition, just yes what is left in the wort?

What fg were you expecting and what % of sugar was your fermentables ?

What fg were you expecting and what % of sugar was your fermentables ?

13.7% was table sugar

I didn't have a specific FG in mind, but based on similar fermentations 1010 or lower.

both my double and blonde with the same yeast finished at 1008 and 1006,so i thought 1010 was possible

i wonder if any of these tripels are inspired by the second latest issue of byo. i bought it a few weeks ago, and have been thinking of brewing a tripel, and how i would do it since then

I have been doing belgians over the winter for the last couple of years, experimenting with different yeasts.
very rewarding, and great for saving

Back