Bottling Outside

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been brewing for 5 years now, and i feel stupid for it only just occurred to me that bottling outside is possibly a stupid idea. yet I have been doing just that for 5 years.

My general process is to clean rinse and sanitise all of the bottles i use.
Transfer fermented beer to botling bucket. Bottle.
The beer, whether in fermenter or botling bucket is probably outside for a good hour.

What do you guys think?

When I bottle, I generally do it outside.

When transferring to bulk prime I often put a foil lid over the fermenter (although you could do tap to tap and keep it closed). loosely fit a bottle cap over the bottles when filled until time comes to seal them all.

I don't think it's stupid unless you notice something wrong with your beer after bottling.

Meh. As long as it's not blowing a dust storm and you don't have a menagerie of animals running amok putting fur and feathers into the air, I really don't see an issue. At the microscopic contaminate level I doubt there's really much difference between inside and outside.

If anyone's done some evidence based experiments on this I'd be interested in knowing their findings.

manticle said:
When I bottle, I generally do it outside.

When transferring to bulk prime I often put a foil lid over the fermenter (although you could do tap to tap and keep it closed). loosely fit a bottle cap over the bottles when filled until time comes to seal them all.

I don't think it's stupid unless you notice something wrong with your beer after bottling.
I have had only 1 infection from bottling, but that is because i found out the bottles were disgusting!!

But what about skunking?? surely it being in reasonably direct sunlight can not be good for the brew.

On this topic, I always put a cloth/towel over my fermenter when fermenting at ambient (and where there is light) because I get paranoid about

a). Skunking
b. yeast copping it from the UV

What are people's thoughts on this? I have never NOT done it so I don't have a point of comparison.

stienberg said:
Meh. As long as it's not blowing a dust storm and you don't have a menagerie of animals running amok putting fur and feathers into the air, I really don't see an issue. At the microscopic contaminate level I doubt there's really much difference between inside and outside.
Yes there is. The inside of my house is probably way filthier than outside. And there are more animals. :lol:

losp said:
I've never bottled inside so i don't have a point of comparison.
I have. No discernible difference except when I spill a bit.
Skunking is pretty self evident. Bottle one in clear one day and leave it in full sun for a day or so.

Alfoil and brown bottles will be sufficient.

Back