Bottling on old starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had a massive score and got over 300 grolsh bottles. When I got them I washed them and then rinsed them in starsan and closed them up. This was about 3 months ago.
I was wondering if I need to sanitise them again or if I can fill how they are?

Bottling triple batches takes a while, even if I keg one or two. :lol:

:chug: :chug: :chug:

Were they dry when you sealed them up? If so I'd use a spray bottle of Starsan and give them a few squirts and drain.
If you left starsan in them I'd rinse them and then give them a few squirts and drain.

I'd beg to differ, Cam.

As I mentioned in another thread recently, I'll process 7-8 Doz. bottles at a time, finishing with Starsan, then capping each bottle with a square of al-foil.

I've stored them for many months (during which time, the residual liquid evaporates), then just pull the foil off & bottle as normal, The way I see it, the sanitiser has done it's job & as long as the bottle is covered, there's no potential for contamination (ie. bugs can't climb! Pasteur showed that with a swan-neck experiment).

'Been doing this for a while now & never had any issues.

5150, I'm sure you'll be fine, but if you want to be absolutely sure, just give them an extra squirt (peace of mind etc....).

Thanks Cam and Martin,

They still had residue of starsan in them and it still had that slightly sour taste it. I'll tip what is in them and give them a quick spray of starsan.

Thanks again.

Ps. I dnck them in starsan.

Latest posts

Back