Bottling From Keg After Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzafish

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys have bottled from a keg after it is carbonated?

I normally fill the keg with my brews and bottle the rest left in the carboy.

However the bottled parts are consumed and I 'm thinking of trying to bottle from the keg or keg tap. Want more bottles of this batch to take around...

Anyway think you get the idea.

Will it go flat?
Will it be fine?

Any advice would be a help...

Cheers,
Jarrad

Jazza - not a kegger myself but wouldnt the bottles be half full of head/froth when bottling from a keg thats already carbonated?

P.S. If you are wanting to swap your keg set-up for some more bottles let me know :D

Cheers
Steve

Hey quincy

From what Ive read it should be fine, but I have never done it. Check out the link for some more info :)

link

beer bottled from the keg works fine, do it all the time - i've kept for several months this way with no ill effect at all - just pour under low pressure from the tap & leave as little headspace as possible - never had an oxidisation issue, despite the warnings of some...

Thanks guys,

That was more than what I expected. Some great links. For now I'll just pour under low pressure. Until it gets to the stage were I need a counter pressure doova wakki... Chilling the bottles has helped with the head/froth issue.

Cheers,
Jarrad

you'll be able to do it easily if you chill the keg to around the 1 degree mark - cuts right down on the frothing

PB

I find that using grolsch bottles is a really good way to do this (actually did this this morning to bring some samples in for workmates today).

If you get excessive foaming, you just seal it and put it back in the fridge till the foam dies down and top it up.

I also have one of the "Roach FlowRestrictors" which works a treat for this as you just dial in more resistance and don't have to worry about purging the headspace of the keg.

You can make a DIY one like http://brewiki.org/CounterPressureBottleFiller

KegToKeg1.jpg

Jazzafish said:
That was more than what I expected. Some great links. For now I'll just pour under low pressure. Until it gets to the stage were I need a counter pressure doova wakki... Chilling the bottles has helped with the head/froth issue.
[post="68974"][/post]​

To clarify, I think you want to bottle under low head pressure, but you want to keep as much CO2 in solution as possible, seeing as you'll lose a bit in the bottling process.

What I do is generally gas it up real good, chill to as close to 0C as possible, then let it sit for a few days. When you're gonna bottle, bleed most of the pressure from the head space so the liquid comes out real slow but still has enough CO2 in solution. I've found it easier to use a bit of tubing that runs from the tap to the bottom of the bottle, too.

I've got a couple of Grolsch bottles that I fill when the keg's nearly empty (i.e. when I can't get any more clear beer out of it!).

I just reprime with 1/4 teaspoon of sugar and leave them for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back