Bottling Filtered Carbonated Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfdes

Reaction score
Just been looking at some options for filling bottles with already filtered and carbonated beer, to take or send to comps. Has anyone used both a counterpressure filler and the Blichmann BeerGun? How do they compare?
Also, if you were using the BeerGun, would you have the beer slightly more carbonated than you'll want it to be in the bottle, to account for loss of CO2 when equilibrating with the deadspace?

Thanks!

MFS

Ive got no experience with the BeerGun but from what Ive read here and on other forums they are difficult to get a good 'pour' and generally just a PITA. Ive got a feeling this is mainly to do with the fact that they are not counter pressure.

Ive used a CPBF a number of times and they work very well. One tip is to run them at twice 1.5-2 times the carbonation pressure, this will prevent co2 from coming out of solutions and there will be no need to increase the carbonation level of the beer.

Heres my chunky but effective CPBF.

DCP01963a.jpg

If you prefer plastic over metal, there's this thing too:

[topic="17947"]Thirsty Boy's BathTub CPF[/topic]

CPBF is a waste of time if you want to fill a couple of bottles for a comp. Never used one myself but I have never had a flat beer (if thats what you are worried about) filling from the tap. I use Pint of Lagers method.

cheers

Darren

does the "pint of lager" method work with ales?

I don't own a CPBF, but I know a few people who do. That said, here are a few things that I've learned through conversations with these people:

- Don't worry about the loss of carbonation due to foaming in the bottle.
- Chill the CPBF prior to using it to minimize foaming.
- Do a few trial runs to practice using the thing. Generally, filling a bottle will proceed as follows, seal bottle (insert CPBF), pressurize with CO2 to same pressure as the "push" pressure on the keg, open liquid valve and allow liquid flow (if any) to stop, then slowly open the bottle bleed valve. Once full, close bleed valve first, then liquid.

A little foam at the end is actually a good thing as commercial brewers cap on foam. This minimizes the oxygen in the headspace. Commercial bottlers will often squirt a tiny amount of sterile water into the bottle to deliberately foam it just before capping.

Just been looking at some options for filling bottles with already filtered and carbonated beer, to take or send to comps. Has anyone used both a counterpressure filler and the Blichmann BeerGun? How do they compare?
Also, if you were using the BeerGun, would you have the beer slightly more carbonated than you'll want it to be in the bottle, to account for loss of CO2 when equilibrating with the deadspace?

Thanks!

MFS

MFS,

I fill all my comp/party bottles direct from the tap - I then use a carbonation cap to purge out the air & top up the carbonation level - it works a treat.
This only really works with plastic bottles, but these are much easier/safer to send off to comps.

cheers Ross

Do you leave the carbonation cap on ross?

Latest posts

Back