Bottling Day and my air lock has started bubbling again!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBrew

Reaction score
Hi all.
New to the brewing game. I have a Belgian Ale down and today is bottling day (day 15). I have found the airlock bubbling away again this morning after being stopped for over a week. My FG is 1016 and has been steady for three days. Is it ok to bottle? Cheers to any advise.

Depends on a number of things.
What was your grain bill? OG? Target FG? Ferment temp? Any change in ferment temp in the last week?

My uneducated guess would be that if your hydro/refrac readings are stable and no change in fermentation environment/conditions it should be ok, but need to check the aboves first

Is the temperature currently rising by any chance? It may be expanding and therefor pushing air/gas out the airlock. It may also be releasing dissolved CO2 even if fermentation is finished. If your hyrdo samples are accurate, it should be fine to bottle up.

Garf

Depends on a number of things.
What was your grain bill? OG? Target FG? Ferment temp? Any change in ferment temp in the last week?

My uneducated guess would be that if your hydro/refrac readings are stable and no change in fermentation environment/conditions it should be ok, but need to check the aboves first
Hi Chap thanks for the feed back. The brew was a stock standard in a can malt extract. The brew temp has flucuated from 22 to 25 degrees as its been sitting in the pantry. The instructions are looking for a FG 1008 but I did use DME and the brew shops said the FG will be higher due to the DME. I think Ill give it a go bottling as its sitting on the same FG and smells and tastes ok. Cheers

Is the temperature currently rising by any chance? It may be expanding and therefor pushing air/gas out the airlock. It may also be releasing dissolved CO2 even if fermentation is finished. If your hyrdo samples are accurate, it should be fine to bottle up.

Garf
Hi Garfield, thanks for your reply. In fact I just tested again and its hotter by two degrees, so you could be spoon. Ill bottle it as it smells and tastes fine. Cheers.

Back