• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Bottling 3 X Brews Tonight.... Questions

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

neo__04

Well-Known Member
Joined
23/8/10
Messages
497
Reaction score
58
Hey all,

Due to busy work and home life, hav had a few brews under gladwrap sitting for a few months.
2 x brews are in a kegerator at 1 degree, the other is on a bench with no temp control.

My questions are, After 2-3 months at 1 degrees, with there be enough yeast sill floating around to carb the bottles up properly? should i shake it all up and let it sit or will it be fine to just bottle?

My other question is relating to a LCBA clone i made, which has been under gladwrap on the bench for a few months. Now id say there is some slight infection... a very fine, almost misty covering on the brew.

Ive seen some terrible infections photos with small colonies of god knows what growing, but this doesnt look too bad, is there a way to decide on whether to bottle or not... Can you bottle 8/10th of it..
Or should i just throw it out?

Thanks heaps!
 

raven19

Homer is God
Joined
24/9/08
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
20
My questions are, After 2-3 months at 1 degrees, with there be enough yeast sill floating around to carb the bottles up properly?
Yes it will be fine, plenty of yeast will still be in suspension to carb up your beer.

...which has been under gladwrap on the bench for a few months. Now id say there is some slight infection... a very fine, almost misty covering on the brew.

Or should i just throw it out?
Taste it first then decide.

If its been sitting for a few months likely any infection would have worked its way through the entire beer.
 

crd0902

Well-Known Member
Joined
16/2/12
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Not 100 percent answers from me but, I have been told before that after its chilled it should still carbonate but it will just take a lot longer. I had a brew at 0 degrees for about a month and it still carbed pretty fast. As for shaking it, to me that should resuspend a lot of yeast but will make the beer cloudy and maybe need a long conditioning time. And as for the infection, no idea really but someone else on here may tell you to taste it. But to me, stuff that, as soon as you go to bottle it will probably disturb it all and mix. Don't know. Hope maybe I helped a little
 

neo__04

Well-Known Member
Joined
23/8/10
Messages
497
Reaction score
58
awesome thanks for the replies.

I figuired the 2-3 month cold conditioning would be fine as ive done one no problem at around 1-2 months.

Hmm, any rules on tasting a possibly infected batch?
pour a bit out and get rid of the crap in the tap then when flowing clearly taste it..
if it tasted like beer.. its ok?

Many people do this?

Thanks again!
 

crd0902

Well-Known Member
Joined
16/2/12
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Yeah let it flow clear to get rid of sediment and then taste it. I taste mine out if the fermenter every time I check the hydrometer. But it's never infected. If it tastes good should be ok but maybe leave the top litre maybe I dont know. I have read if it is no good you will certainly know about it. Smell and taste. Keep a bucket handy haha
 

Dazza88

Well-Known Member
Joined
25/7/09
Messages
743
Reaction score
6
also. bottle the suspect one last. hope you arent bottling all stubbies.
 

Latest posts

Top