Bottles -> How Many Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sm0902

Reaction score
Hi all ... is there any rule on how many times bottles can be used for home brew? Do they weaken the more they're washed?

I'm using Grolsch, Carlton Draught (375ml) and a variety of 700 ml bottles.

Thanks

When the glass becomes brittle then they are no good, keep them out of sunlight for long periods and they will last a lifetime.

The bottles that i am using at the moment have been sitting in a pit for 8 years and i haven't had a an explosion yet. :)

you may only get 3 to 4 brews from each grolsh bottle before you need to replace the rubber

on the other question , you can keep doing it until you go blind

I've done about 6 or 7 brews and no drama's.

Though you'll get some melodramatics telling you how they replace them after 3-4 brews as they are rubbish after that.

I'll be using them til I stop brewing or they go BOOM!

Though you'll get some melodramatics telling you how they replace them after 3-4 brews as they are rubbish after that

:blink:

Have you had many ppl tell you this DC?

I've never heard that claim before, just wondering how many ppl out there think along those lines.

I was under the impression most hbers use their bottles more or less until they break or have cracks etc

Guy @ my lhbs and your older brewers ect, few people my own age as well.

My Old Man and I have about 600 Grolsch bottle between us. We've replaced maybe 30 seals. I have a whole bunch of the ooooold 500ml ceramic top ones (the newer ones are 473ml and plastic topped). Most of these oldies still have their original seals and must have done dozens of brews. I have only ever had one explode, and that had a visible crack in the bottom when I filled it.

I look after the original seals because the rubber is far better than any replacement I have seen or used.

How do you look after your seals

Make sure thay are clean after each use. I usually just hot rinse the bottle after pouring out the contents and immediately leave it upside down in a rack to dry. I flip the seal inside out - like an umbrella in the wind if you know what I mean - so that it dries both sides.

When they are completely dry I put the stopper in place but don't lock it down. I keep them in a darkish area and don't usually use any cleaning or sterilizing chemicals. I have been giving them a little Sodium Met lately because the horror stories of infections are making me paranoid. I've never had a bad beer from one though.

Back