Bottle Washer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Sick of washing bottles but don't want to go down the keg route ?

Then check out this really cool bottle washer.

I downloaded the video and it even does 5 gallon carboys.

The downside ................. CDN$8500

Beers,
Doc

There was some discussion about this in HBD a while ago. The chat over there (in the digest anyway) reckons there'll be dishwasher mods coming from every corner soon, in the same way people are converting kegs for boilers and fridges for kegs.

It wouln't be too hard to rig up an old dishwasher - simply make a bottle holding rack and jet manifold in place of the sliding trays and washer arms. The rack is optional too, you could just put the bottles on top of an array of jets. The only consideration is the pressure coming out of the pump.

Dishawasher mods I thought someone else would have thought of this!

My mate and I have started making a mod for an old dishwasher we are keeping the bottom shelf but wit all the plate racks etc removed to which we attatched a system of poly pipe and retic risers which go inside the bottle necks to within 4 cm of the bottle base once on. We are making the second shelf now but this needs to be custom because the old shelf was too close to the top and wouldnt allow bottles to stand but its already half made.

Im now working on the solenoids and water containers so that the machine will do as the commercial washer will do, first hot clean water then hot bleach and detergent then hot clean, then warm with sanitizer then hot clean rinse.

Weve tested the unit with only the standard pump with really dirty bottles ie. not washed at all and left to dry out with beer still in bottom (two went mouldy) so this test was extreme then wacked em in, we got the machine to hot rinse, hot detergent then a hot rinse, and they came out sparkling clean, and we didnt use dishwasher detergent as this contains rinse aid which is bad for your beer apparantly, so all in all the results were good so we should be able to clean around 30 bottles at a time, any more and pressure drop may be a problem!

So its pretty easy to do and the electronics mods wont be expensive but youd need to know a bit about electronics to tackle it but your local dishwasher guy would be able to point you atleast in the right direction.

P.S. Retic pipe isnt food grade so we are considering a copper system as another slight problem was one of the risers popped off due to pressure so really a stronger pipe system is needed but i dont feel copper would be hard to do.

Thought Id give you all an update on this one

We finished the top draw and have now tested the unit all works well on the standard programing of the dishwasher. Only thing is half way thru you need to change a hose from one bucket (sanitizer) to a bucket of fresh water but bottles come out clean as a whislte am really happy with it

Also my mates kegs (soda variety - Corneys??) fit in there, we can get two in and we made up a set of hoses that go inside the kegs with lots of holes so they get a nice even jet stlye sprinkler spray inside and they come up really clean as well

Anyone that wants to give it a go feel free to ask some questions cause its fairly simple to do!

I made up a little washer just out of some black poly style sprinkler attachments... works great on the coopers plastic bottles... the glass ones are too heavy and i need to build a rack for them... but then i got kegs.... :)

Back