Bottle Washer/rinser/sanitiser Broken, Again.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

I've got one of these:

bottle%20sterlilzer.JPG

After doing, well, not many bottles - maybe 100 - it's not shooting water up into the bottle any more. I press the bottle down onto it and it only starts to shoot water once the bottle is pressed about 9/10th's of the way down - which results in the water only just hitting the top/bottom of the bottle.

I've noticed that the white center piece that you press down to shoot the water up is no longer creating a nice seal around the main red part. Perhaps this is what's causing the water/solution to seep past and not up into the spout?

Has anyone had this problem with these devices?

It's annoying as when they're working they're bloody great - but they're about $50NZD over here - and this being my second one I'm starting to get a little frustrated....

Hey all

I've got one of these:

bottle%20sterlilzer.JPG

After doing, well, not many bottles - maybe 100 - it's not shooting water up into the bottle any more. I press the bottle down onto it and it only starts to shoot water once the bottle is pressed about 9/10th's of the way down - which results in the water only just hitting the top/bottom of the bottle.

I've noticed that the white center piece that you press down to shoot the water up is no longer creating a nice seal around the main red part. Perhaps this is what's causing the water/solution to seep past and not up into the spout?

Has anyone had this problem with these devices?

It's annoying as when they're working they're bloody great - but they're about $50NZD over here - and this being my second one I'm starting to get a little frustrated....
Hey Hunt,

Mines packed away somewhere so I can't look at now but from what I remember they pull apart so you can replace an O ring, which is probably what's wrong with it.
The liquid helps lubricate it & stop it from being pulled out of place so make sure its wet before you start to use it between brews. I could be wrong because I have the Australian model (Made in China) that has a centre piece, while you must have the American version (I'd guess that's also made in China).

There probably so expensive in NZ because your about the only Kiwi left who hasn't moved to Australia so suppliers aren't able to give any volume discounts to the 3 or 4 dozen of you still living there. But I wouldn't get any ideas about jumping on a boat & rowing over here because you'll end up in PNG or some such place if your caught & besides we still need a few of you living there to beat playing Rugby League & Cricket against.

Cheers

They are like $35 here in Aus too, want one but right now my spray bottle works fine. Maybe one day...

I soaked it in PBW over night hoping that it might be an issue with the one way valves in the top or bottom section. But this didn't have much of an effect. They are all perfectly clean now but the problem still remains.

I wonder if the little O ring that seals the bottom piece (that the spring presses against) has shrunk and isn't sealing. I'll have a look tonight to see if I can find a replacement.

Hey Hunt,

Mines packed away somewhere so I can't look at now but from what I remember they pull apart so you can replace an O ring, which is probably what's wrong with it.
The liquid helps lubricate it & stop it from being pulled out of place so make sure its wet before you start to use it between brews. I could be wrong because I have the Australian model (Made in China) that has a centre piece, while you must have the American version (I'd guess that's also made in China).

There probably so expensive in NZ because your about the only Kiwi left who hasn't moved to Australia so suppliers aren't able to give any volume discounts to the 3 or 4 dozen of you still living there. But I wouldn't get any ideas about jumping on a boat & rowing over here because you'll end up in PNG or some such place if your caught & besides we still need a few of you living there to beat playing Rugby League & Cricket against.

Cheers

haha. No-one cares about rugby league or cricket. The only people that care about it over there have given up on Rugby union because we keep beating you :p

haha. No-one cares about rugby league or cricket. The only people that care about it over there have given up on Rugby union because we keep beating you :p

Shame about our cricketers...pretty sure my local college 1st XI could smash them. :rolleyes:

So I've noticed that when I press the plunger down you can see water and bubbles seeping out the bottom - so I guess you were right real_beer about the O ring!

I'll see if I can source one before the weekend!

Didn't think mine even came with an o-ring ? :huh: After a relatively short time it had the same performance issues yours is having, I came to the conclusion that they're crap and switched to a windscreen washer pump mounted thru the side of a bucket, pumping thru a piece of beverage tube to a garden irrigation nozzle. Hooked up to an old computer power supply, no problems reaching the inside of the upside down bottle, can only turn it on with a bottle over it, otherwise it hits the roof and you get a nice sanitiser shower.

So I've noticed that when I press the plunger down you can see water and bubbles seeping out the bottom - so I guess you were right real_beer about the O ring!

I'll see if I can source one before the weekend!

That's good, if you've still got the first one you bought you'll be able to fix it as well to sell it or keep as a spare.
After thinking about it a bit more you might be better smearing a little keg o'ring lube around it every now & again for best results.
Whatever you do don't use KY Gel as there's always the danger of imparting a strawberry, or other type of fruity flavour taint to your bottles :lol:

cheers

Back