Bottle To Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hi, I have just finished washing all the tallies I have ready for the xmas case and I found I am 17 tallies short.

I know I could find a HBS who can sell me some second hand ones but I was wondering if this would work.

If I bought my 17 tallies, say XXXX and poured them all into a keg and regassed. Would there be any problem with this?

Not a huge deal having the XXXX on tap as a few of my mates drink it and it would stop them drinking my HB.

So does anyone know of any reason why this would not work?

Thanx :beer:

Wouldn't pouring beer into a keg from carbonated bottles oxidise it? I doubt it would keep very long.

The only problem I can see is there is a good chance you will oxidise the beer. But will your mates notice :huh:

Sluggerdog,

Unless you intend to keep for ages, your plan will be fine, I pour bottles from my keg taps & there's no indication of oxidisation after 3 months - so can see no problem with the reverse at all, especially if xxxx is the starting point - it is that heavily carbonated already, I can't see air in a careful pour having ANY noticable effect ;) ...

How about this: Gas up the keg with CO2 empty. Burp it slowly then keep it still while opening. Immediately pour your beers in. The CO2 ~should~ *mostly* stay in the keg, at the very least reducing the oxidising effect (if any).

Just wondering if using a funnel and a length of hose(that fits snugly over then end of funnel), to reach the bottom of the keg, would be of assistance instead of pouring down the inside of the keg.

I once had a batch in bottles that refused to carbonate, even after quite a few weeks all I got when I opened them was a faint hsssss.

I had just got the kegging system up and running so I did exactly what you're intending and it worked fine, as a matter of fact it was a damn fine batch (Amber Ale) and was gone in no time at all - no chance of oxidisation :D

With commercial beer though you'll probably get an awful lot of foaming due relatively high carbonation levels.

I'd follow the previous advice and purg the keg and then gently pour the bottles into it, maybe even with Linz's idea of a funnel and hose.

I would still think though that it should be drunk fairly quickly in case too much O2 gets involved.

Trev

To update this I just decided to drink the bottles, 12 down, 5 to be drunk by saturday when I bottle the last half of my xmas case...

XXXX and New.. yum yum.. haha

Trev said:
I once had a batch in bottles that refused to carbonate, even after quite a few weeks all I got when I opened them was a faint hsssss.

I had just got the kegging system up and running so I did exactly what you're intending and it worked fine, as a matter of fact it was a damn fine batch (Amber Ale) and was gone in no time at all - no chance of oxidisation :D

With commercial beer though you'll probably get an awful lot of foaming due relatively high carbonation levels.

I'd follow the previous advice and purg the keg and then gently pour the bottles into it, maybe even with Linz's idea of a funnel and hose.

I would still think though that it should be drunk fairly quickly in case too much O2 gets involved.

Trev
[post="84802"][/post]​

Has anyone else tried this? I was thinking of transfering a bottled batch to a keg, do I chill the bottles first or forget the idea outright due to o2 problems? I did a search and only found this entry. :unsure:

XXXX will probably taste better oxidised anyway (ha ha ha).

Corey said:
XXXX will probably taste better oxidised anyway (ha ha ha).
[post="91124"][/post]​

True, but I am not talking about mega swill fizzy rubbish.

Latest posts

Back