Bottle Scum Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfc_ozzie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Had a couple questions worried my beer may be infected, even though i made sure everything was sanitised including the bootle caps. As far as i could see none of this was present in the fermentor before being bottled. I noticed after i bottled my latest brew that within an hour if holding up to the light these clear blobs on the top of the surface, all the blobs where joined together in a group, i have read that these could be just fats or something, but i was then looking at a brew in a bottle that has been in bottles for about 4 weeks and they have these clear blobs but some also have some white blobs present also.

Have attached some photos, the one in the green bottle is the one that was in bottle for an hour, and the one in the brown bottle has been in bottle for 4 weeks.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

Hopefully the photos work.

When i open the beer it all seems normal and if i pour into a glass the supposed scum is no where to be seen. Tastes ok too. Just wanna make sure that it is ok and safe to drink.

Can't really tell much from those photos, however if there's a bit of a high water mark of white flaky bits (commonly), then it is likely to be an infection (can't recall its name). It won't be too bad while young but I've found it does get worse and most bottles end up either over-carbonated and gushers or just taste odd.
The mixture of blobs is intriguing though, maybe multiple strains of some unwelcome visitor. Don't panic, if it tastes OK now just get in to them!

I have had a similar or same. I put it down to fast carbing high temps after bottling. Seems worse in PET bottles.But not sure really.

Cheers

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. They seem to taste ok so i guess ill drink them. I did notice the apple cider i made had no signs of anything on top of it.

Latest posts

Back