Bottle pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed my first brew from grain (50L ale) and it's fermenting away right now. I froze a litre to add to the half of it I'm bottling. I've never added frozen brew to fermented brew for sugars before. I've always used carbonation sugar drops.
Is there anything special I need to do before bottling?
Right now the plan is to melt the litre of frozen brew and add it the fermented ale (20/1 mix). Then bottle it. Am I missing anything?

Or are carbonation drops the way to go?

Cheers

I'd go with carb drops or bulk prime with sugar to avoid over or under carbing.

Hey guys, I just brewed my first brew from grain (50L ale) and it's fermenting away right now. I froze a litre to add to the half of it I'm bottling. I've never added frozen brew to fermented brew for sugars before. I've always used carbonation sugar drops.
Is there anything special I need to do before bottling?
Right now the plan is to melt the litre of frozen brew and add it the fermented ale (20/1 mix). Then bottle it. Am I missing anything?

Or are carbonation drops the way to go?

Cheers
i did a pretty detailed spiel on bulk priming yesterday on 'over carbonation' posts if you want to take a look.
don't know what you're brewing but a good ball park for 23L bottling is
stout/porter - 120-125g dextrose. this will look pretty lifeless at 4 weeks, at 3-4 months it will be spot on thick.
english ales - 140 ish
aussie ales - 160 ish
wheats, czech pils styles - 180 ish. first time i did this amount i was worried the bottles were going to explode, but worked a treat.
the amount of dextrose you add is contingent on the style you're brewing, and known as carbonation levels.
plenty of calculators about, i use the in-house one in beersmith, so can't steer you to one off the top of my head
carb drops are probably ok for a brew or 2, but they'll do your head in for monotony and time wasting

Not sure why you would add dirty wort to clean fermented wort. Going my But it’s Bribies Post, compare those dextrose measurements to the og of the frozen chook oops wort and go from there

Hi new to brew where did you get info on frozen wert to bottle. Never seen it before. A bit out there.

eisbock (nectar if you can get it, try the german club if you're in brissie).
they make a doppelbock, then freeze it, then remove the water ice, then you drink the dregs (eisbock).
about 14%.
not quite what you're talking about above, but that's one freeze method

Thanks for the info guys.

I've decided to play it safe with the carbonation drops for most of it, but I will still experiment with the other method. So i'll keg 38L, bottle 8L with carb drops and test the rest.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back