Bottle Gushes While Priming Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long had they been in the bottles carbonating? This may not have been needed...

It would be 2days now. Do you mean not needed for carbonation? I can chill it and drink it already?

keep them cool too. Don't stack them high or where it gets warm.

I think your starting gravity should be a little higher.

If you can still see bubbles rising to the top, it's still fermenting. You don't need a hydro for that. If you throw sugar into a carbonated drink it will go wild. It wasn't done yet.

Cheers

Bob

I guess Ive been a little impatient.. Thought final gravity is reach when I bottled.

What with yeast that like to stall, sputter and chew everything in sight at random... Best to leave it alone a week after the main ferment is done. Well, at least 3-4 days. Then chill down to drop the bulk of the yeast out of suspension and bottle. Also, bottling colder helps prevent the foaming too.
Dw, you'll be right with this one.

One thing that's not been mentioned so far, you aren't using a fermenting fridge ATM I take it. Temperature fluctuations are another thing that makes yeast unpredictable. If you persist with uncontrolled ferments, best to allow an extra week to make sure all is done. I used to take a reading, if it's as predicted, at the end of expected end of ferment, give it a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast, stop adding ice bottles to the tub (they were to keep the temperature under sort of control) and let it go for a week. Take a reading again after the week and if it was within a point at most I'd bottle.

With a fridge I've found the yeast works to a more predictable schedule and I can take a couple of readings 3 days apart and bottle if stable. Yeast are living things, need to consider how we are treating them.

Edit: bloody autocorrect

My Hydrometer actually broke, so it might not be really acurate, need to get a new one soon as this current one is just hanging on with tapes.
Uh, yeah, you may be having accuracy issues here... :unsure:

It would be 2days now. Do you mean not needed for carbonation? I can chill it and drink it already?

No, mate. What I mean is that you may have been able to leave the bottles to condition (after you added the carb drops/sugar and capped them up) for 5 or so days (as my previous post) and then put one in the fridge for a day and then pour it and drink it to see what the carbonation is like, eg Are they going to explode if I leave these for a few weeks. And then try it again in another week or so to check the carbonation. Then you could have vented some gas and recapped if things were looking dodgey.

Brewing is all about learning. You kept a good ferment temp, I'm sure it will taste good, mate.

Cheers.

What with yeast that like to stall, sputter and chew everything in sight at random... Best to leave it alone a week after the main ferment is done. Well, at least 3-4 days. Then chill down to drop the bulk of the yeast out of suspension and bottle. Also, bottling colder helps prevent the foaming too.
Dw, you'll be right with this one.

One thing that's not been mentioned so far, you aren't using a fermenting fridge ATM I take it. Temperature fluctuations are another thing that makes yeast unpredictable. If you persist with uncontrolled ferments, best to allow an extra week to make sure all is done. I used to take a reading, if it's as predicted, at the end of expected end of ferment, give it a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast, stop adding ice bottles to the tub (they were to keep the temperature under sort of control) and let it go for a week. Take a reading again after the week and if it was within a point at most I'd bottle.

With a fridge I've found the yeast works to a more predictable schedule and I can take a couple of readings 3 days apart and bottle if stable. Yeast are living things, need to consider how we are treating them.

Edit: bloody autocorrect

Yep your right, i'm just using a simple form box and ice packs to keep the temperature right, this was just my 2nd brew, going on my third now. If this brewing thing keeps up i might just get one to make more tasty beer.. haha.

Uh, yeah, you may be having accuracy issues here... :unsure:
Really need to get a new one soon..

No, mate. What I mean is that you may have been able to leave the bottles to condition (after you added the carb drops/sugar and capped them up) for 5 or so days (as my previous post) and then put one in the fridge for a day and then pour it and drink it to see what the carbonation is like, eg Are they going to explode if I leave these for a few weeks. And then try it again in another week or so to check the carbonation. Then you could have vented some gas and recapped if things were looking dodgey.

Brewing is all about learning. You kept a good ferment temp, I'm sure it will taste good, mate.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advise mate, you guys been teaching me hell lots of stuff i don't know about.. Ever since i pick up homebrewing, i been reading reading and reading daily on articles, forums.. its never enough :p

Back