Bottle Deep Clean?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
Last week I had a Stout sitting in secondary with no bottles to put it in, it had sat there for almost a Month while I tried to drink enough beer to make empties to start the process again. I was continually running out of bottles.

All of a sudden I have more bottles than you could shake a stick at. last weekend I picked up a load of bottles from Matt (Mobrien) and bottles my Stout, I was a happy man. I could at least take my time and enjoy my beer rather than trying to down as many as I could just to make room for the next batch then the next....

Today I was browsing through the free local paper that arrived sometime earlier this week when something caught my eye "Free - 24 dozen strong glass bottles" I was on the phone quick smart thinking they will be gone, someone would have taken them by now but no, they were still there and the voice at the end of the phone told me if I came today they were mine, I was there within 45 minutes loading the car, 3 trips later there are 288 900ml thick glass gottles sitting in my shed - Result :party:

The only thing is they are stinking, real stinking they had been there in the shed for years and they were moving interstate and didn't need them anymore hence the giveaway.

How should I go about cleaning the buggers? They have a thick layer of grime inside and out plus a fair bit of dust, cobwebs and some have smelly slops of water gone off inside them. They are going to need the mother of all cleans.

Where should I start?

bottles.jpg

Cheers.

Grab a couple of large garbage bins, or even phone your local council and report your wheelie bin missing (so they send you a replacement - then you can 'find' the old one again).
Throw them all in with a good dose of napisan. Leave for at least 3 days.
Throw them all in with a good dose of bleach. Leave for at least 1 day.
Sanitise as needed before usage.

I just hook in with bottlebrush, plenty of pink stain and a lot of elbow grease.

One of those large storage bins 750mm 500mm 350mm
neopink 3 days
napisan 3 days
bleach 3 days
boiling water and one shot brewday
bottle brush in a battery drill between each step

mine had green slim,cigs and even bacon rashers (has me stuffed)and they sparkle now and not that much work involved

Brizbrew its obvious that you're hooked. Don't fight it any longer...go the kegs!

Cheers

About 7 years ago, I was given 200 bottles that had been lying on/in the ground for 30-40 years. The dirt even filled some of the bottles and had set into a very solid challenge.

Rinsed the stuff out that would move, then soaked them in buckets of water with a generous squeeze of dish washing detergent per bucket. They soaked for one two weeks, needed a fair bit of elbow grease with the bottle brush. If the dirt was still stubborn, they went back for another weeks soaking.

At that stage, I didn't know the delights of napisan.

Give your bottles a good soaking in napisan, say a few desertspoon fulls per bucket. Leave them up to a week, if the grime isn't moving, rinse, a teaspoon per bottle of neopink, top up with water and leave a few days.

Now you can start planning what to fill them with.

I agree with POL.
Napisan is your friend.
A short tale about the benefits of Napisan.
SWMBO decided to boil some rice in her brand new SS saucepan with the nice thick copper base. A long story short, she burnt the arse out of it and the new saucepan had a black coating on the bottom that a jackhammer couldn't remove :(
She had resigned to tossing it out when, as a last resort, I put a couple of tablespoons of napisan in about 1 litre of water in the pot and left it overnight.

Next morning - brand new again. :)

I reckon no matter how bad your bottles - napisan will do the trick.

Cheers

Thread hijack.

Learn to cook rice via the absorption method.

Use long grain jasmine rice. I have been using Koala Brand.

One cup of rice, two cups of cold water and bit of salt in a saucepan of about 2 litres volume that has a good fitting lid.

Gently bring to the boil while stirring occaisionaly. Stir again, fit the lid, then turn down the heat as low as it will go. Cook 20 minutes. Check that the grains are cooked, it may need a minue or two extra.

Leave a few minutes with the lid on and the heat off.

Serve. Lovely aromatic fluffy rice. Different sorts of rice may need more water and cooking times adjusted slightly.

Or buy her a rice cooker.

Thread hijack off.

quincy said:
I agree with POL.
Napisan is your friend.
A short tale about the benefits of Napisan.
SWMBO decided to boil some rice in her brand new SS saucepan with the nice thick copper base. A long story short, she burnt the arse out of it and the new saucepan had a black coating on the bottom that a jackhammer couldn't remove :(
She had resigned to tossing it out when, as a last resort, I put a couple of tablespoons of napisan in about 1 litre of water in the pot and left it overnight.

Next morning - brand new again. :)

I reckon no matter how bad your bottles - napisan will do the trick.

Cheers
[post="70567"][/post]​

I wish I had known about the benefits of Napisan Earlier. I can't remember how many pots and saucepans have dissapeared :eek:

Regards,
Phil

Well 24 of the said bottles are now sitting in a large tub of warm water with a liberal dose of napisan, I would of done a few more but that was the biggest tub I own.
I will leave them there for a few days and rinse scrub and repeat as needed.

Funnily enough we had a saucepan at the back of the cupboard which had rice burn on the bottom, that is sitting half filled with a solution of warm water and napisan, hopefully that will do the trick.

Cheers all, most helpful. :super:

Back