Bottle Conditioning Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Squire

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on temperature ranges for best bottle conditioning?

I've read some people saying to let them condition for a certain time at higher temp range (around 20 degrees) and then for a longer period of time cold conditioning at around 10 - 12 degrees.

Is this a good guide? At the moment my first brew has been conditioning in covered boxes, in the shade, under my back deck within a temp range of 16 - 18 degrees for about a week, is it time to find a colder place to further condition them?

Thoughts appreciated.

James,

I'd keep them at the fermentation temp of the yeast 18C for 2 weeks so you know they are going to be gased then move them to somewhere colder if you want. Sometimes they will be gased after 1 week but 2 weeks I find better.

Matt

yeah, don't forget, you still have to let the yeast do their work for the first few weeks
then cool and dark is the go
i heard one bloke in a HBS telling a story about 1/2 of his brew was sitting on the lid of a freezer and the other 1/2 on the floor.
He said the gear sitting on the vibrating freezer settled out sooner and better than the stuff on the floor. makes sense i suppose,

..but you wouldn't want to go as far as the paint shaker (Simpsons)

5 days @ primary temp,then stickem somewhere dark & cool for another 5 weeks and start tastin!

Latest posts

Back