Quantcast

Bottle Conditioning A Lager

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

jeremys

Reaction score
I'm interested to know who here has bottle conditioned a lager before. I'm an extract brewer and package soley in bottles and I have never done a lager before. I'm planning on brewing a Marzen in a week or so and will be bottling it once fermentation is complete (actually I usually leave my beers for about a week after fermentation is complete).

Now I know that lagers improve with a long lagering period, but I have doubts over whether the bottles will carbonate at such low temperatures. Should I bottle condition at fermentation temperature, or warmer, then lager? Or vice-versa? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Rob S

Reaction score
My 2c - I'd bottle then leave for 2 weeks at the fermenting temp, then lager at 1*C or whatever for however ling you want.

mikk

Reaction score
I'm bottle conditioning some lagers now, & have them carbonating at warmer than fermentation temp (17Cish) for 2-3 weeks, & will then lager them for at least a month or 2.

I can't say if this is the absolute best procedure, but it should work fine. Just don't try and carbonate them at lager temperature, or it'll take absolutely forever!

Bats

Reaction score
There's probably better ways to do it but this is how I ferment and bottle my lagers and does the trick for me.

I ferment at 12 C until fermentation complete. I then rack into secondary and Lager the secondary at 2 to 4 C for about a month. Then bottle and prime as usual. I then store at room temp until carbonated (2 to 3 weeks). Then put the bottles in the fridge ready for consumption. They will still lager in the fridge and age well but are still drinkable.

Latest posts