Bottle Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williewtb

Reaction score
I read somewhere that once a bottle has been carbonated fully, if you chill the bottle, the carbonation gets absorbed into the beer much better when you don't chill it. I think it's true as i have tried with PET bottles and they feel slightly softer when i try to compress them at the sides.

I was thinking if i bring them out of the fridge after that will they still maintain that state where by more gas gets absorbed or do they release it all back into the air space given in the bottle once they are left to heat up to room temperature?

It probably does have an effect but it is hard to tell. Also when you chill it, the water/CO2 molecules have less movement so that would contribute to the PET bottle feeling softer chilled than when at room temperature.

Once you heat back up to room temperature of course the water molecules will have more movement and therefore make the bottle feel firmer.

It is possible that when it cools that it is absorbed and when the bottles warm up though the gas would be released back into the head space.

I have noticed the same effect on PET bottles kept cold in the fridge.

The Beer is noticeably more lively in the glass at room temperature than the cooled bottles.
Same goes for commercial brews as well.

i remember reading somewhere that beer releases co2 slower the colder it is

going by that a really cold beer wouldnt have many bubbles and a warmer one would have much more as more gas is coming out of the beer therefore the PET bottle would be firmer when its at room temp.

cheers: HBK

Gases are more soluble in cold liquids. This is why when you pour a warm beer its much fizzier, the gas comes out of solution easier.
When you heat up the bottle some of the gas will come back out of the beer.

Have a play with the bulk priming calculators and when changing the temp watch the residual co2 figure.

Glad people notice the same thing i do.. I think Henry's law basically answer my questions but thats a lot of science there.. :p

Back