bottle bomb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemeamash

Reaction score
never had one before and just been to the shed and seen the mess. before I get the mess sorted my question is that it was a brew that I bottled over 6 months ago, so is this usual? I always thought that once beer had carbed, say after 4 to 8 weeks you were clear of this problem, seems that this I not the case, anyone else had this happen or am I I'll of shit with the 4 to 8 week thing?

I would of agreed with you prior to readying this post, it makes you think that is must of still being producing co2 which eventually went past the bottles pressure threshold, or could it perhaps have been weather related if they were in the shed?

Maybe some kind of slow-burn infection? I also thought bombs were fairly quick to show themselves.
Have you noticed any change in flavor which is different to normal aging? I'm assuming it was more than 1 bottle which blew...

one bottle out of the older batch, didn't even break its neighbours!!! taste is still fine in the others.

Ate you in Melbourne? Maybe the extreme hot temp had something to do with it. Might be worth chucking a heavy blanket over the batch while cleaning up just in case another one blows.

if I did I thought it would have popped before now? carbed with a scoop of sugar, always very tight on that front.

most probly not fully fermented prior to bottling , or a weakened bottle , or both . dont think infection can creat extra pressure to creat a bomb?

either ditch the lot or if your keen to keep them, chill them all in the fridge and keep them chilled until you drink them.

I would bung on some safety glasses at all times while you are handling them unless you want to risk an eye injury.

what was your final gravity and what sort of bottle was it ?

More likely to be a single bottle slow infection.
If it was the usual general reasons for bottle bombs you'd have had more than one by now.

Back