Borretmaid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Well I can't afford a Rubbermaid or similar as yet so here is the cooler/mash tun that Borret........made.

borretmade_closed.jpgborretmaid_open.jpg
Yes it's essentially a bucket which unlike an expensive 5 gallon round cooler actually holds 23 litres rather than 19 which will certainly do me in the short term. Fully insulated with a couple of cut and shut polystyrene freight boxes and there is also layers of sculpted foam inside so there is literally no air between the bucket and the outer shell. The whole lot is sealed with packing tape for a durable finish(ala slope soaring model airplane practice) and there is a soft closed cell foam seal where the lid mates for an airtight top cavity. Yep, it's fairly ugly but should work a TA treat. It may even get some signage yet.

But wait.... there's more
Having spent a night out with a few guys in Newcastle on Ross's Australian homecoming beer tour I was finally persuaded to even consider that a false bottom might be a better alternative than the braid I had long planned my lautering upon. So in my true TA fashion I found a scrap of stainless and set to work to try and create something to make the Borretmaid worthy of the brewery (forget ye not the mill). And I think I'm pretty happy with the results. After drilling about 1000 2.5mm holes in 1mm stainless (deburred both sides I might add) and six polycarbonate posts for it to stand on ...RSI had truly set in. But I think it's worth it. I think it just might work. :D
false_bottom.jpgfalse_bottom_bottom.jpg
Now there's about 2 litres under the false bottom so that should lower the prefferential flow and the pickup actually presses hard against the bottom making it cone slightly so I should have very little dead space.
siphon.jpg

So there you have it. I like seeing other peoples setups so I thought I would let anyone who is after ideas to do it on the cheap see this. The rest of Crazy Eyes Brewery is nearly done so will post that when it's complete and then my larger wood panelled, copper banded mash tun sometime after that.

Cheers

Borret :blink:

Top darts Borret. :beerbang: Good to see the progress being made mate. Also glad to hear the night out in Ross' honour generated something other than my hangover the next day :lol:

Good luck with it all,

Shawn.

Edit: typo...

Nice improv. That is a great setup. You should put up some instructions for that one. Let us know how it goes when it is up and running.

Ello, ello. Mr Borret has been lurking behind the fruit and veg markets. :p Looks very similar to a mash-tun I made a few years back. Bucket, fruitboxes and convoluted foam.

Not bad, not bad at all. :)

Warren -

Good work Borret!
Nice scrounging and we'll all be interested to know how it goes first time out...

Cheers,
TL

warrenlw63 said:
Ello, ello. Mr Borret has been lurking behind the fruit and veg markets. :p Looks very similar to a mash-tun I made a few years back. Buket, fruitboxes and convoluted foam.

Not bad, not bad at all. :)

Warren -
[post="68506"][/post]​

No even better. I actually picked up off the side of the road from hard waste collection at 1:30 in the morning on the way home from the night out with Ross. So that's 2 good things from the Tour de Rosco.
I did have a subway bucket too in the name of TA but even when carb-soda and napisan got rid of the smell, as soon as the lid was on for a week the evil pickle smell returned. Might work with a lambic but nothing else.
Thems teh brakes.

Borret :blink:

Being from Newcastle you most likely put a family of 5 out on the street. :p

They rang... They want their house back. :lol:

Warren -
(sorry guys couldn't resist)

Fruitbox..... You were lucky. :lol:

We used to live in paper bag..... all 27 of us....

Borret

:lol: Oh no! Not that one again. :lol:

What is this affiliation you Novocastrians have with Yorkshiremen?

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Warren -

Nice one borret - glad the tour proved fruitful to others as well :D

Finding lots of toys over here in pommie land - might have to leave the 2 handpumps i bought, behind for another day....

warrenlw63 said:
:lol: Oh no! Not that one again. :lol:

What is this affiliation you Novocastrians have with Yorkshiremen?

Every sperm is sacred.
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

Warren -
[post="68515"][/post]​

Hmmmmm, how to reply to that......

........Mexican :lol:

Gringo septentrional, como cargado y culpable!

Regla de Vics. Ms cerveza :p

Warren -

MexicanWave.gif

ok, i need to make the same false bottom as Borret has but there's NO WAY, i'm going to drill and de-burr 1000 little holes
time to scan the salvage yards for s/s mesh

tangent said:
ok, i need to make the same false bottom as Borret has but there's NO WAY, i'm going to drill and de-burr 1000 little holes
time to scan the salvage yards for s/s mesh
[post="86819"][/post]​

Sorry I did a recount some time later.... that's 1848 holes :(

Impressive work Borret but I'm a bit worried.

First, not only did you drill hundreds of little holes, but you marked them out in a lovely flower pattern.

Then, you went back and counted them all.

Is there a Mrs Borret inspiring you to spend so many hours in your shed?

:beer:

Wortgames said:
Impressive work Borret but I'm a bit worried.

First, not only did you drill hundreds of little holes, but you marked them out in a lovely flower pattern.

Then, you went back and counted them all.

Is there a Mrs Borret inspiring you to spend so many hours in your shed?

:beer:
[post="86825"][/post]​

:lol:
Pregnant
:ph34r:

borret, you cant have seriously drilled all those holes by hand could you?

My hats off to you mate, 10 out of 10 for being keen!

i'd have given up after about 25 holes myself.

vlbaby.

my sparge bucket started all neat and 5 minutes later it was eyes closed and drilling like the shower scene in Psycho! :)

The stainless mash should cost about $30 from a sheet metal shop. Just make sure they have the right size and not the galvinized sheet.

Back