Boozys Sugar Monster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozy the clown

Reaction score
Wyeast 3787 belgian
coopers lager kit
2x kilo coopers brewing sugar no2
500 gms brewiser sugar
200gms honey
and about 500gms of liquid malt extract

low temps, camden winter brew.

Started at 11.00, bottled the Sugar Monster at 10.35

And to quote Ross, (sorry to keep using your comments, but you are an unbiased taster/guinea pig)

"perfect carbonation, slight haze, lovely golden colour...
Aroma - Mmmmmm, things are looking up & up
Taste - Wow, this is really good - not sweet & cloying as I had visions of & not the slightest hint of the "tang" that I so hate in non-AG brews. It is quite dry for a beer of this strength, which is a real positive in my book - perfect hop bitterness to balance the alcohol & wonderful flavours from the Belguim yeast...
Boozy, this is a cracker . Seriously mate, probably the best homebrewed strong ale I've ever tasted & that includes AG ones...
I reckon it will only improve in time as well - so keep a few back if you can & put one into a comp next year, I'm confident it'll do really well...

Thanks mate, delicious"

Gonna try another but with more fermentables and a stronger yeast. :party: :p :ph34r:

what sort of hops did you use boozy?
sounds like a neat beer
whats that like 8.7 % ?

I didnt add any, must have been what was in the coopers bavarian lager kit. It really was a fluke i must say but one i hope i can repeat.

Not sure what the actual Alc content is, somwhere between 8 and 10%, ross might have been able to tell by its taste. I would not go near any heavy machinery after drinking it!

*edit typo*

And though at possible peril....

I got myself a Hoegaarten Grand Cru the other day, and hearing the cries of "wanker" (only for this comparison, nothing else of course :rolleyes: ) echo about the forum ive got the jatz to say this... Reckon its sort of, pretty close to my sugar monster.

But yes i guess any resembelance is due to the yeast i used.

Hey Ross, if you read this, do you think i'm drawing much to fine a bow?

(Bows and arrows boys and girls, not a bow of acknowledging applause!)

:beer:

never drunk it Boozy, so can't comment - but as you have found - the right
yeast can make a potentialy undrinkable beer, very nice indeed....

Cheers Ross

8-10% alcohol strength, If your drinking a beer that strength regularly I hope you dont bother going to a pub or club, it would be nearly impossibly to get drunk off regular beer!

Yeah that post-mix beer can taste funny sometimes. :huh:

Hmm, 'post-mix' think that name might stick, well it works for me. :)

For search purposes...

Boozys sugar monster, boozy's sugar monster. boozies sugar monster.

so Boozy, who is the Ross that gave you the tasting comments?

- Snow

The Ross from two posts up, you know, the bloke with the ten tap bar?
Arent you going to his place for the case swap?

edit uh the swap day that has been and gone...
(Ross was saying he hadn't tried the Grand Cru, i sent him a bottle of the sugar monster)

ah sorry - misread the post.

extract and kit tripels and strong ales can indeed be made to a very high quality with the right yeast and fermentation temps. I made a tripel with just extract and sugar, using the same yeast you've used and it won first place at the 2003 nationals in the Belgian/French Ale cat. and won best extract beer at the same comp. That yeast keeps working over the months, so you can definitely expect improvement in the complexity and blending of the flavours over 6-9 months.

Now, I have drunk Hoegaarden Grand Cru, so I think you should send me a bottle of yours for a third opinion..... ;)

Cheers - Snow

Latest posts

Back