Booze Trek

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr1me

Reaction score
Hey folks, had a great day today and went on a winery tour of mclaren vale and the barossa. Spent way too much as usual, but managed to pick up a beautiful 200 litre french oak barrel today for 145 bucks.

Its had spirits in it rather then wine, so it should be fine to add character to whatever i decide will live inside of it. He even shaved the charring out from the inside of the keg(which is common in bourbon barrels) so the brew inside will breathe and mature.

I'm thinking of putting 100 litres of mead down into this baby(has to be atleast half full to keep the timbers moist) as my first brew, but im open to suggestions! Any ideas guys?

Mead would be good - but to make a 100 litres - VERY Expensive.
Unless you know an aparist - i think you would need approx 20kg of honey.... i can boil 65ltrs batches if you need a hand...
But once you have a mead base - could work out really well.

I will give you hand with the mead if you decide to go that way...

What about CIDER...........
If you can find an apple orchid and or take a trip to the riverland if you have to - should be able to get the juice pretty cheap.

I do know an aparist I've had dealings with before, purhcasing wax and so forth, might be worth a call to determine what kind of price he can do.

The juice for cider I can purchase bulk from Norton Summit in the hills, I believe its about a dollar per litre, so thats an option as well.

Might need to buy a couple 60 litre fermenters to make this one happen. I'd rather ferment outside of the barrel and just add it afterwards for maturing rather then risk infection which could spoil the wood forever more.

Pr1me

I want to make cider soon and 1.00 ltr sounds fine - put me down for 10.
I have 2 x 60 ltr fermenters - one empty at the moment...

So, when you work out what you want to do - come upto the Barossa Brewhause and we can brew it with my gear....

I'm going to do some ringing around today and get some solid prices on honey and apple juice, ill put the results in a new topic so it doesnt get lost.

I'll be happy to come up to the brewhaus when i'm ready, aslong as there is something i can crush and destroy... :D

Apples............. :lol:

So you go on a winery tour... and you buy a barrel. Typical brewer :p

:lol: might have bought a couple Cough a dozen Cough bottles of mead and spatlese from Maxwells winery too....

I love that place, if only they would let me live under the counter.

Back